Do you know Marijuana Pepsi?

by frozen one 1 Replies latest jw friends

• frozen one
    frozen one

I saw a segment on the Today Show this morning about people with odd given names. The featured name was Marijuana Pepsi Sawyer. I read a story about her online also. The first thing that jumped out of the article was, "This tall, striking, self-assured, motorcycle-riding woman is a schoolteacher with a master's degree in higher education administration. Soon, she'll start work on her doctorate." Oh, be still my heart!

Further along the article gave an explaination as to how Marijuana got her name:

"Sawyer's aunt, Mayetta Jackson of Chicago, clearly remembers when the name was picked in 1972. The newborn's mother and father were products of the post-Woodstock era when reefer was rampant.

"And they would cool off with a Pepsi," she said, which makes you think it's lucky for Sawyer that it wasn't Coke instead. "I thought it was crazy," her aunt said about the name, "but they were such fun-loving people that it suited them."

A couple years later, Sawyer's father, Aaron Jackson, put all that aside and became a Jehovah's Witness. The marriage ended. Young Marijuana lived with her father in Chicago until she was 9 and then moved to Beloit to a much less stable home situation with her mother."

I wonder how much grief the little girl named Marijuana got from the loving congregation she was dragged to by her father? Anybody from Chicago remember meeting this child?

A tall, educated biker who was associated with the cult as a child.

Marijuana, I think I love you!

A woman named Marijuana plays it straight - and wins

Video from the Today Show

• shopaholic
    shopaholic

I saw that episode as well but don't remember a JW reference but remember wondering if she was ever associated with the JWs. She mentioned that people wanted to call her Mary or MJ but that she insisted that they call her by her proper name. At that point I knew she was not a JW.

I'm sure she remembers no christmas, no birthdays, no tooth fairy or easter bunny.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit