Russell re Millerite founder -- "Father Miller" no less than 4 times

by Fatfreek 10 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

Most of us know about the Millerites and their founder and how some 50,000 folks during the 19th century looked for the end. Question: Was there any link between them and the founder of the Watchtower Society?

In searching the early Zion's Watch Tower, from 1879 through 1916, I found it interesting that Russell refers to William Miller (Millerite founder) several times. I will quote below the first reference of Miller to illustrate that Russell's feelings for Miller were by no means antagonistic but were fond and loving. Fact is, he referred to him as "Father Miller" no less than 4 times in early ZWTs.

Even as late as 1923 (some 79 years after Miller's failed prediction, 7 years after Russell's death, and 4 years after Christ endorsed the Watchtower folks as his only true flock in 1919), Rutherford referred to him as "brother": "It is true that Brother William Miller made a mistake in calculating the year of our Lord's return."

Zion's Watch Tower, April, 1880,
    Just at a proper time then, as the word of God had begun to
    circulate freely, comes what is commonly known as the Miller
    movement. It was a movement among Christian people of all
    denominations, principally Methodists and Baptists, a general
    awakening, and included many of the best people in all of the
    churches. Mr. Wm. Miller, a very Godly man, (a baptist) was
    the prime mover in this country, though simultaneously Wolf
    and others were calling attention to the same subject in Europe
    and Asia; the real movement, however, was in our own land.
    But the parable mentions a going forth to meet, etc. What does
    this signify? This is another evidence of our stage of the church,
    for although the Bible had always taught the "second coming of Christ," yet
    it had been understood in so general a way that none were able
    to settle upon any definite time and say-- then he will come;
    consequently there could be no such going forth to meet him, as
    is demanded by the parable. Now the case is changed, Wm.
    Miller's attention is attracted to and riveted upon the prophecies.
    He reads: "Unto 2300 days and the sanctuary shall be cleansed."
    He counts and finds that it would end in 1843 or 1844. He
    supposes the earth to be the sanctuary and expects its cleansing
    to be by literal fire. He, though a calm deliberate man, could not
    forbear to tell his fellows that so read the prophecies, and so he
    believed. It spread rapidly, among old and young alike, and
    many virgins after examining with the lamp, were convinced
    that the word taught them to expect the coming of their Bridegroom
    in 1844; and on the strength of this faith they went forth to meet
    him. In going they walked by faith, not by sight, but they did
    what the virgins never had done before, because never before
    had the word, or lamp led them to thus definitely expect him.
    (We believe him to have erred both in what the sanctuary is and
    what the fire is.) ...

The evidences from scripture that the 6,000 years would end and
    the morning dawn in 1873, and that, with the morning the
    Bridegroom was due, was preached upon by a brother of very
    marked ability as a prophetic student, who also published a
    series of articles on the subject in the leading paper of that
    denomination, ("The World's Crisis") as well as afterward in a
    pamphlet, and finally as a monthly paper called "The Midnight
    Cry." The message attracted general attention from the people of
    that denomination, so that in a few issues its circulation ran up
    to 15,000, or more than all other papers devoted to the subject of
    the Second Advent together. This, we believe, fulfilled this
    parable, not that Advent people alone are virgins, but they were
    the part of the company that were at that time looking for the
    Bridegroom, but asleep and unconscious as to the time of His
    coming. ...

This cry proclaimed to the virgins that the "2,300 days" did end in 1844,
    but that the thing expected was wrong.

The next reference is one where he used the curious term, "Father Miller".

Zion's Watchtower, May, 1883 (bold is my highlighting)
    Father Miller, upon whom so much reproach has fallen (but who
    was a devoted Christian man of irreproachable Christian
    character), saw that there was an important, prophetic point in
    about 1843, and supposed that Christ was to personally and
    visibly appear to the world at that time, and that it would be the
    closing up of earthly affairs; but, when disappointment came,
    unlike many of his followers, he was not despondent, but
    believed that the Lord would lead his people to a further
    understanding of his word and designs, and that in the fullness
    of time he would come.
    That awakening set many Christians to examining the Word
    with extreme care, the result of which is that many interesting
    parallels between the Jewish and Gospel ages have been
    discovered, and it is now convincingly known that the first step
    toward the second advent did take place at or about that time,
    but not in the manner that Father Miller had expected.

Len Miller

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

That last quotation from Zion's WT of May, 1883 may be more profound than what first meets the eye.

That awakening set many Christians to examining the Word
    with extreme care, the result of which is that many interesting
    parallels between the Jewish and Gospel ages have been
    discovered, and it is now convincingly known that the first step
    toward the second advent did take place at or about that time
    but not in the manner that Father Miller had expected.

Just my humble opinion, of course, but it's not a great stretch that Russell was regarding Miller as the Father of the Russellites -- the Father of the Bible Students -- and, yes, the Father of what would become the group known as Jehovah's Witnesses .

Len

• RR
    RR

Actually he was referring to Miller as the father of the Great Second Advent Movement.

• Satanus
    Satanus

RR

'Actually he was referring to Miller as the father of the Great Second Advent Movement.'

Can you show where that is, in the context?

S

• RR
    RR

The term "Father Miller" was not coined by Russell. It is also used by various Adventist groups.

In the book "Footprints" by Adventist A.W. Spalding, he wrote:

In December, 1839, he was invited by Joshua V. Himes, of the Christian Connection, to speak at the Chardon Street Chapel in Boston. Himes assured "Father Miller" that "doors should be opened in every city in the Union, and the warning should go to the ends of the earth." Himes, an abolitionist and a born promoter, immediately began publication of the Signs of the Times. Thus was launched the extensive publication activities of the Millerites.

Sylvester Bliss' Memoirs of William Miller published during Miller's lifetime also refer to Miller as "Father Miller" in several places

Also the website "Famous Americans, says this of Miller:

Father Miller's lectures were illustrated by great charts, upon which were depicted the apocalyptic beasts, Nebuchadnezzar's image, etc. These charts presented a mathematical demonstration of the mystical problem of the 2,300 days of Daniel's vision, showing just when "the third woe" must be sounded, and the seventh trumpet, and just when the stone must smite the image, etc. - http://www.famousamericans.net/williammiller/

One just needs to google "Father William Miller" to see all the references.

RR

• judge rutherFRAUD
    judge rutherFRAUD

miller was a bum and Russell was a complete dope even im plying miller had anything right. all this BULL ABOUT 1844, 1873 2300 years. I guess theres a SUCKER BORN EVERY MINUTE, to fall for russells calling DARKNESS LIGHT...

• Satanus
    Satanus

Not that convincing. Anyhow, len's point is to establish a conection between rusell/rusellites and miller/millerites. Even if rusell was using 'father miller' as a figure of speech, his point is made, imo.

S

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

The header to the article in question, Zion's Watchtower, May, 1883 was "THE INVISIBLE THINGS OF HIM". The byline at the end credits a J. C. SUNDERLIN. While Russell apparently didn't pen the article, as Editor and Publisher Russell endorsed, authenticated, and validated the contents of every editorial contribution.

Sunderlin was a trusted and major contributor to early Zion's Watch Tower articles. A brief scan of those early magazines shows that he was a principal player in this religion's role. His first editorial contribution was in letter form in October, 1880. His name first appeared on the head page of the January 1, 1881 issue .

C. T. RUSSELL, Editor and Publisher.

----------

REGULAR CONTRIBUTORS.

J. H. PATON, . . . . ALMONT, MICH.

W. I. MANN, . . . . SWISSVALE, PA.

B. W. KEITH, . . . DANSVILLE, N.Y.

A. D. JONES, . . . PITTSBURGH, PA.

L. ALLEN, . . . . . HONEOYE, N.Y.

J. C. SUNDERLIN, . FT. EDWARD, N.Y.

The scan shows that one of his assignments was in Great Britain. If he directed the work over there I didn't find that.

Even modern Watchtower publications have a few references to Sunderlin.
    "Brother Russell dispatched two associates, J. C. Sunderlin and J. J. Bender, to Britain to supervise the distribution of 300,000 copies there. Brother Sunderlin went to London, while Brother Bender traveled north into Scotland and then worked his way south. Principal attention was given to larger cities. By means of newspaper ads, capable men were located, and contracts were made with them to arrange for enough helpers to distribute their allotment of copies. Nearly 500 distributors were recruited in London alone. The work was done quickly, on two consecutive Sundays."Jehovah'sWitnesses-ProclaimersofGod'sKingdom (1993), chap.22p.405

He wrote many articles for Zion's WT. During one lengthy period ZWT refers to Bro Sunderlin as being bedridden with a severe illness. The last mention of Sunderlin I could find was February, 1884, where he contributed the lengthy piece, "Flight In Winter".

"Actually he was referring to Miller as the father of the Great Second Advent Movement". Sorry, RR, but I would have to agree with Satanus that you don't present a very convincing argument to make that claim.

Zion's Watch Tower, in my opinion, subscribed to the moniker "Father Miller" because of a great admiration for what they supposed he had done as forerunner for their mission. As a refresher, please refer to a portion of the above quotation. There, mentioning Miller's early prediction, ZWT (highlighting is mine) says: "That awakening set many Christians to examining the Word with extreme care, the result of which is that many interesting parallels between the Jewish and Gospel ages have been discovered, and it is now convincingly known that the first step toward the second advent did take place at or about that time, but not in the manner that Father Miller had expected."

Within that article, ZWT saw Miller's 1843 proclamation as being contemporaneous with other scientific developments of that time. While I, and most today, are convinced that was a foolish supposition, they felt it was noteworthy and significant.

"In 1833 "Father Miller" began to lecture upon the second coming of Christ, and premised that it would take place in the fall of 1843. In 1832 the electro-magnetic telegraph was conceived by Morse while on a transatlantic voyage, and it was born in 1835, "when he put up a half mile of wire in coils around a room and exhibited a telegraph in operation." "In the morning of March 4th, 1843, he was startled with the announcement that the desired aid of Congress had been obtained in the midnight hour of the expiring session, and thirty thousand dollars placed at his disposal for his experimental essay between Washington and Baltimore. In 1844 the work was completed and demonstrated to the world.

"In 1843, it is believed, occurs the first suggestion of the project of the Atlantic Telegraph (American Cyclopedia, Vol. II, page 850), and a few years after was realized the fact (whatever bearing it may have upon the subject) that real lightning, conveying intelligence, shone from "the East" to "the West," and vice versa.

"While we would not be fanciful nor morbidly imaginative, we would not be too slow to mark the striking coincidence of events which seem to indicate the fulfillment of prophecy."

Len

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

What follows are more Watch Tower associations to William Miller (no relation to me, Len Miller, and founder of the Millerites).

"And The Door Was Shut", Zion's Watch Tower, November, 1881 (highlighting is mine)

"For the sake of the many new readers of the WATCH TOWER,

it may not be amiss to give a general review of the steps of faith

by which the Lord has been leading us as a people, during the

last seven years, and in a general sense during the preceding

thirty-five years.

"The parable of "The Ten Virgins" (Matt. 25) seems to have been

given as a pen picture of some of the important events connected

with the close of the Gospel Age. ...

"While we are neither "Millerites" nor "Adventists," yet we

believe that this much of this parable met its fulfillment in 1843

and 1844, when William Miller and others, Bible in hand,

walked out by faith on its statements, expecting Jesus at that

time. ...

"It was evident, then, that though the manner in which they had

expected Jesus was in error, yet the time, as indicated by the

"Midnight Cry," was correct, and that the Bridegroom came in

the Autumn of 1874, and he appeared to the eyes of faith-- seen

by the light of the lamp--the Word. Afterward it was seen that

the thirty years of tarrying between 1844 and 1874 was the exact

parallel to the thirty years of tarrying at the first advent, from the

time the wise men visited the babe until Jesus stood on Jordan

and was anointed with the Holy Ghost for his work, at thirty

years of age. (Acts 10:38.)"

Len

• reslight2
    reslight2

Just my humble opinion, of course, but it's not a great stretch that Russell was regarding Miller as the Father of the Russellites -- the Father of the Bible Students -- and, yes, the Father of what would become the group known as Jehovah's Witnesses .

In 1883, there was no dinstinct Bible Students movement; I highly doubt that when Sunderlin wrote of "Father Miller" that he had in mind designating William Miller as the father of group that at that time had no distinction as such. There is certainly no indication that Sunderlin thought he was saying that Miller was the Father of the Watch Tower magazine. On one occassion, Sunderlin put "Father Miller" in quotes, as though designating this as a title that had been in common use; I have to agree with RR. However, I do so (and I trust the same is true of RR) without the idea of lending any support to the JW organization. The evidence that the title "Father Miller" was in common use in the second advent movement even before Russell started the Watch Tower magazine is overwhelming.
    http://tinyurl.com/yl7vmhr
    (Google search)

I realize that many are tyring to discredit the JWs' organization by pointing to what Russell wrote and comparing it with the JWs views. However, Russell was never associated with, and did not believe in, such an organization as the "Jehovah's Witnesses." What Russell believed and taught in many areas was the very opposite of what the JWs teach today. I believe that is good for one to point out the differences, but sometimes if one is looking at Russell through the tint of that organization, one may reach wrong conclusions, since Russell never advocated an organization such the "Jehovah's Witnesses". By about 1930, the majority of the earlier Bible Students movement had rejected Rutherford's new organization; thus, one could say that as a whole, the earlier Bible Students movement continued to exist separate from Rutherford's new organization, leading Rutherford to name his organization "Jehovah's Witnesses" so as to distinguish his organization from the Bible Students movement.

Russell, of course, viewed William Miller as a brother in Christ, and so do I; I would suppose that most in the Bible Students movement today would likewise think of Miller as a brother in Christ. However, I do agree that most Jehovah's Witnesses would probably never think of Miller as a brother in Christ.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit