"Nook", from Barnes and Noble

by changeling 10 Replies latest jw friends

• changeling
    changeling

My husband ordered a "Nook" for me as a gift. I cancelled the order. I like the feel of a book in my hands and my ever growing library. Am I nuts? :)

• journey-on
    journey-on

Yes. You are "nuts"! I've been doing some comparisons between the Nook and the Kindle and I am definitely going to get one or the other. The latest could not be found at Christmas, but I think they are coming out sometime after Feb. Like you, I love the feel of a book in my hand. However, technology, my dear....technology! You have to stay current and this IS the future.

• Lost-In-Translation
    Lost-In-Translation

You are not nuts. For centuries we have been using paper books to read. E-readers have just recently progressed to the point were they are now worth purchasing. The decision to purchase an E-reader all depends on your reading habits. If you are an avid reader, then an E-reader would make sense. Many people in the publishing world actually use E-readers like the Kindle, and now Nook, to get through all the books they want to read. However, for the person that reads a few books a year it makes sense to just purchase books as usual. I purchased the Kindle about 2 months ago and I love it. I thought I would miss the feel of books, however I'm able to read faster with the Kindle and I do not have to worry about carrying heavy books around.

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

Electronic books are a nice alternative in some situations.

But for longevity (through device standards and crashes, not to mention provider lifecycle), emotional connection, long time access (how long can you stare at a screen?), books will be around for a long time.

If there's something I plan to own and access a long time, I get it into physical form - whether that's an audio CD or a book or a movie DVD.

Paper doesn't last forever - but neither does flash memory or, say, companies like Rocket (what happens when your eBook provider goes out of business and you don't have a backup of your library?).

• mac n cheese
    mac n cheese

I was SURE I didn't want one of these things. I love the feel of books. I received a Kindle as a present last year and after about reading for 2 minutes, you completely forget it's an e-reader. I read a lot, the only downside is that it's not as easy to share a book with someone. Amazon.com/Kindle lets you share content with up to 6 Kindles, but you all have to be on the same account.

You might want to re-consider.

Mac n Cheese

• changeling
    changeling

I am an avid reader. I always have at least one book going. I try to wait for books to come out in paperback or to find them at used book stores or Amazon.com, in order to save money.

I love having a growing library and to swap books with my daughter. I also like to decorate with books, using them to make vignettes on side tables and such along with framed photos, boxes, vases, lamps...

Also, the internet is making newspapers obsolete. A few years ago this would have never crossed our minds. What if e-readers make books obsolete? The thought of a world w/o books terrifies me.

And...like all other technology, if it catches on, it willl go down in price in no time. When it goes to less than 100.00 I may consider having one just to have lots of books at my fingertips. At that price I won't feel like I'm wasting money if I have a device AND purchase books.

• snowbird
    snowbird

I prefer "real" books also, Changeling.

By the way, welcome back and congratulations on obtaining your BA.

Sylvia

• LockedChaos
    LockedChaos

It's nickname

The nookiebook

Bad choice in names

I read e-books on my

netbook

Bigger screen

larger capacity

more versatile

and less money....................

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

Paper books have a lot going for them in the way of compatibility, independent of power source, versatility and egronomics.

I have a very extensive digital library, and there are some important considerations for what device I would use for accessing it. The first thing is to be able to read different kinds of formats. A minimal requirement is the ability to read PDF, DOC, HTML, TXT, PDB (Palm), and RTF. Proprietary formats might offer nice features, at the cost of locking that document into being used with only that type of reader.

Another consideration is my control over documents. I want to back up and archive documents locally in a device of my choice. Readers that hold my documents inside without me being able to store them elsewhere are unacceptable.

Ergonomics is important, and also subjective. One of my favorite devices was a Vtech Helio, because I could turn pages with buttons that my thumb naturally landed on while holding it. Screen brightness, contrast and size can make a big difference.

Power is also a consideration. A pair of AA batteries beats out a proprietary built in battery every time if used on the go.

Based on these specs, I have found a Handspring Visor (Palm) to be pretty good. A Dell Axim Pocket PC works great, though it likes to be near power. I have a 2GB card plugged into it with a great library. Also, my eeePC netbook is wonderful too and is best overall. It is only the size of a trade paperback, and costs less than a Kindle.

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

I'll go with nuts myself.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit