WTS publication: Mankind's Search for God

by Gorbatchov 15 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Gorbatchov
    Gorbatchov

Thanks for your reply's! The mankind's Serach for God publication is one of the less WTS books I did not throw away. I can't trow it away. There is a reason: it fascinated me when I was a active JW. For the first time I thought that "our" organisation was interested in other religions (...). It was written differently the normal WTS publications.

I have the same feeling about the "Happiness" book and the "James" book. They are still on my bookshelf. Because they are different.

Gorby

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I have seen this book, and we did go through it once at the book study. And, as I see it, they had a biased viewpoint about all other religions. The other religions were written up as if they were bad--the core belief was fairly accurate, but then they had to go and bash the other religions. Of course, they had a favorable writeup for Jehovah's Witlesses.

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

Book was never used in meetings for study...strange when you consider their usual modias operandi with such books.

• Georgiegirl
    Georgiegirl

I thought it was a very fair, unbiased and interesting look at other religions.

Um...until I took a college course on world religions and realized it is a pretentious and artfully manipulating way to trash any religion that is not JWland. Some of the statements were taken way out of context (what a shocker) and were deliberately inflammatory. Much better disguised than many of the other books, but not an unbiased view by any means.

• Farkel
    Farkel

:WTS publication: Mankind's Search for God

Looks to me like the dubs think God is lost, or something.

Farkel

• possible-san
    possible-san

I also think that that book is a "to some extent" good book.
    But, of course, that is not written much in detail.

For example, they have described a certain Buddhism in Japan like this.

*** sh chap. 6 p. 148 par. 33 Buddhism—A Search for Enlightenment Without God ***
    These principal divisions of Buddhism are in turn subdivided into many groups, or sects. Some are devoted to a particular leader, such as Nichiren in Japan, who taught that only the Mahayanan Lotus Sutra contains the definitive teachings of the Buddha,

This explanation is correct "to some extent."
    But correct information does not get across to people only in that.

He (Nichiren) had stated as follows 750 years ago.

"There is no Pure Land or Hell outside of ourselves.
    They only exist within our own breasts .
    One enlightened to this is called a Buddha.
    One deluded about this is called a common mortal
    ."

("Ueno Dono Gokeama Gohenji" ( "A Reply to the Widow of Lord Ueno"))

Although that is official translation into English, I translate like this.

"That "paradise" and "hell" are not outside us, but they exist only within our heart."

He taught that "hell" and the "Buddha" are in our inside/heart.
    And he taught to worship that Buddha presence within you.

People cannot acquire such information only by reading the WTS publications.

possible

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit