What if there was "new light" that the 144,000 was symbolic?

by Sour Grapes 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Titus
    Titus

Yes, CANTLEAVE. You know that previously we believed that "anointed"="the twelve tribes of Israel" (according to explanation of Re7:4-8). Now, we have to believe this:

"These will survive the great tribulation into Christ’s Millennial Reign. There they will be joined by billions of resurrected ones. All of these will make up the symbolic “twelve tribes of Israel,” who will be judged by Jesus and his 144,000 corulers. ... ... ... This application shows that the term “the twelve tribes of Israel” at Matthew 19:28 refers, not to Jesus’ spirit-begotten underpriests, but to allothers who put faith in Jesus’ sacrifice.

(paragraphs 7 & 8)

So, it seems that many Bible verses now have different application for exmpl: Romans 2:28, Galatians 6:16, 1 Peter 2:9, Revelation 7:4-8...

And the last one is especially interesting, since that verses actually say:

"And I heard the number of those who were sealed, a hundred and forty-four thousand, sealed out of every tribe of the sons of Israel: Out of the tribe of Judah twelve thousand sealed; out of the tribe of Reu′ben twelve thousand; out of the tribe of Gad twelve thousand; out of the tribe of Ash′er twelve thousand; out of the tribe of Naph′ta·li twelve thousand; out of the tribe of Ma·nas′seh twelve thousand; out of the tribe of Sim′e·on twelve thousand; out of the tribe of Le′vi twelve thousand; out of the tribe of Is′sa·char twelve thousand; out of the tribe of Zeb′u·lun twelve thousand; out of the tribe of Joseph twelve thousand; out of the tribe of Benjamin twelve thousand sealed."

It doesn't say that whole "symbolic tribes" were sealed, but just some taken out of them.

And here is something very, very interesting:

"Jehovah’s Witnesses have consistently held to the view that literally 144,000 anointed Christians make up spiritual Israel."

(from the "Revelation" book, (C)2006, chap. 19 p. 118 par. 14 )

I know that proper accent is on words "literally 144,000", but try to put an accent on words "anointed Christians". Now, it does not make sense anymore...

• RR
    RR

I don't think it would make a difference. It's not as if great company members will all of a sudden believe they are spirit begotten and join the ranks of the little flock. Things will continue as they are, a two class system.

• sspo
    sspo

The JW's worship the GB and no matter what the changes might be they will suck it up as coming from Jehovah.

They are brain dead as all of us were while we were in !

• watson
    watson

I love this conversation. The topic has come up many times on JWD/JWN. It's a goodie. I think the transition out of the literal 144,000 will be fairly easy, if they do it right. A little conditioning, ambiguity, the "distant picture coming into focus" type thing.

Scriptural 12 = Complete

12 X 12 = Real complete

12 X 12 X 1000 = Real, real complete

Complete = When it is complete in Jah's eyes....only he knows for sure.

Next light? Great Crowd = Gentiles

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit