questions from starting to look into the pedophile scandles

by Aussie Oz 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

First off, possibly like most first looking into this, i feel nauseous. A month ago i would have thought that ok, sure, like any organization the JW must have some pedophiles. But only a few, some. And that obvously they would be rooted out double quick. So few compared to the Catholic Church that we basically never heard of any.

So i guess shock is an understatement after looking at silent lambs and Barbara's sites.

Some have called the JW a pedaphile paradise.

How much worse than in the other religions is it?

Is the ratio of perverts to flock higher or lower than the other religions?

I note that all the news articles about the other religions focus on the clergy only and not the so much the members.

Are the witnesses infected at the same ratio as the rest of society? or more, or less?

Is the scandal that they have more than the rest or the shocking way that they choose to deal with it?

oz

• yesidid
    yesidid
    the shocking way that they choose to deal with it

would be my answer.

• Sour Grapes
    Sour Grapes

JW's don't think that they have or had a pedophile problem.

Only the Catholics have the problem.

Sour Grapes

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

i went to 12 yrs catholic school from my viewpoint being female there was very little opportunity to be alone with the few parish priests altar boys i don't know as a witnesses i can see many possible situations that could be trouble parents often in a very trusting way send their children off in car groups with adult males they don't really know just that their brothers so they must be ok people live in witnesses fantasy like the expression its ok i'm a doctor alot of opportunity for the wrong kind of person

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Bookmarked for later.

• avishai
    avishai

they don't have more to begin with, but end up w/ more because of the "two witness rule" not going to the authorities, and it's made worse by them not telling the cong. about convicted sex offenders who come into the cong.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

The problem is magnified because of WTS practices and procedures.

Whether or not there are more or less of them in the congregations of JW's is secondary. In some places, there may be more pedophiles, but there may not be more in another place. WTS's problem is similar to the moving around of priests. WTS decides to cover up the problem because it will make them look bad. WTS tells victims there is not sufficient evidence to proceed, then they used to threaten judicial procedures if the victim doesn't drop the matter.

While they officially don't do that, they still protect the organization ahead of the victim. They don't stand by the victim coming forward, holding their hand and accompanying them through the terrible criminal/legal system. Instead, they only "report" when required by law. They make victims feel intimidated, they say "Our hands are tied." They still unofficially make the victim feel that they should drop the matter.

Worst of all, they tell young ones to trust the older men. They put them in a situation where they must go out recruiting. Parents are not warned about some guy in the cong. and let their children work with him. Sure, they cover their asses with talks about being responsible for your own kids, but the locals still say to "trust the brotherhood" and to work with the various different people. The pedophile that is not marked in some way or officially reproved or DF'ed continues to recruit in the local area also.

• Heaven
    Heaven

JW's don't think that they have or had a pedophile problem.

Yeah, even when it happens in their own congregation. If it can happen in my Father's previous very small town cong., then it can happen anywhere.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit