number of anointed

by ssn587 21 Replies latest watchtower bible

• moshe
    moshe

9999 annointed or even 11,000- I don't think the majority of JW's look at the big picture- now, if the yearbook ever makes a graph showing the slow decline, then a leveling off in the 80's and then a increase for the past 15 years that might make some JW's start asking questions. But will they do anything about it- nah.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Typical JWS are not analytical thinkers, they eat whatever is fed them with righteous zeal.

If the WTS comes up with an excuse to why the the anointed are climbing in numbers,

the flock will accept willingly just as they're suppose to, for its new light.

• RAS
    RAS

One could ask, If there are 144,000 spirit anointed people who have a heavenly hope, and a great crowd of people who have another hope of everlasting life on paradise earth, why does Paul say that there is only ONE hope (Eph 4:4), instead of two?

• dgp
    dgp

Good question, RAS.

• Titus
    Titus

Indeed, students in Gilead learn that the whole Bible (not only Paul's epistles, but they especially) is written exclusively for the "anointed ones". And the other ones are like "the little dogs which do eat of the crumbs falling from the table of their masters" (Matthew 15:27). Maybe some Gilead's graduates here will remember that...

So, it explains Eph 4:4, I think...

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Yea I remember that big sell to me on how few annointed were left. It was like get in now or else. That was in 1987. It actually scared me quite a bit back then.

• Awen
    Awen

It's my understanding that Peter said there is a "new heavens and a new earth that we are awaiting according to his promise and in these righteousness is to dwell", in other words even in the 1st Century some had an earthly hope, despite WT teachings to the contrary. As to the literal number it's anyone's guess. As I have stated before it's my opinion that when Jesus said "many are called but few are chosen" he was referencing the little flock in that there would be a great number of partakers but out of those many only a few would be deemed worthy. Jesus also said "to keep doing this in remembrance of me" referring to the eating of the unleavened bread and drinking of the wine at the Great Passover, Nisan 14. The WT concludes that since he was speaking to his Apostles and not also to his disciples then he had concluded a special arrangement with them and not with Christians in general. Yet the scriptures make no mention of any "anointed ones " gathering together every Nisan 14 to celebrate this annual event, nor a class distinction between those with a heavenly hope and those with an earthly one. All Christians are called and out of those some are deemed worthy enough for heavenly life just as there is no mention outside of the Book of Acts of a "Governing Body" who presided over the affairs of Christians of the time.

Thw WTBTS has warped the scriptures for their own ends and when the thruth is finally coming out find themselves unable to explain away their erros which "have massed clear up to heaven".

• dssynergy
    dssynergy

I was just watching a "Mysteries of the Bible" episode that talked about the lost Gospels. One interesting comment was that it was Constantine who essentially decided what the Bible cannon would contain, and that he is the one who instigated the "structure" of the church.

A few questions came to mind: Should we then really totally disregard writings that were not included in the cannon without first comparing them for harmony with other scriptures of the time? Did the comment "All scripture is inspired of God..." apply to these "scriptures" as well even though they were not included in the cannon?

And finally - it seems that each of the christian congregations were somewhat self-governing and that if problems arised, they would consult the apostles for guidance since they were companions of Jesus. Perhaps the recent movements we are seeing by the WT to disenfranchise the congregations are a move toward a more looser governance ~ at least outwardly.

Anyone have a good reference to read about how the early christians were organized??

DS

• RAS
    RAS

I think you find some light right in the bible...Lokking in Rev 7: Notice the bible says a great multitude that no one can count...hmmm the prior versus explain the 144,000 so who are these folks and what are they doing in heaven? It looks like more then 144,000 have a heavenly hope

9 After these things I looked, and behold, a great multitude which no one could number, of all nations, tribes, peoples, and tongues, standing before the throne and before the Lamb, clothed with white robes, with palm branches in their hands, 10 and crying out with a loud voice, saying, “Salvation belongs to our God who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb!” 11 All the angels stood around the throne and the elders and the four living creatures, and fell on their faces before the throne and worshiped God, 12 saying:

“ Amen! Blessing and glory and wisdom,
    Thanksgiving and honor and power and might,
    Be to our God forever and ever.
    Amen.”

13 Then one of the elders answered, saying to me, “Who are these arrayed in white robes, and where did they come from?”
    14 And I said to him, “Sir, [b] you know.”
    So he said to me, “These are the ones who come out of the great tribulation, and washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb. 15 Therefore they are before the throne of God, and serve Him day and night in His temple. And He who sits on the throne will dwell among them. 16 They shall neither hunger anymore nor thirst anymore; the sun shall not strike them, nor any heat; 17 for the Lamb who is in the midst of the throne will shepherd them and lead them to living fountains of waters. [c] And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes.”

• Larsinger58
    Larsinger58

OFFICIAL

The 144,000 are the "root" of the olive tree only and are made up of natural Jews. Isaiah 6 verse 18 describes Israel as a tree that is struck down.

ISAIAH 6: 12 and Jehovah actually removes earthling men far away, and the deserted condition does become very extensive in the midst of the land. 13 And there will still be in it a tenth, and it must again become something for burning down, like a big tree and like a massive tree in which, when there is a cutting down [of them], there is a stump; a holy seed will be the stump of it.”

In the NT, of course, many Chrsitians are familiar with the concept of the true branches being lopped off and the wild branches being grafted in. But it has always emphasized that even though they got grafted in, the ROOT was still Jewish.

When we compare that with Isaiah, we have the foundation of understanding a certain specific number, that is 1/10th of the entire tree would be 100% Jewish. The remnant of the natural Jews still make up 10% of the entire number.

In Revelation, 12,000 from each tribe specifically is noted. That would have little relevance to Christianity. But it makes perfect sense if the ROOT is in reference here that is made up of the 144,000. In that case, 144,000 is the number of Jews in the covenant kingdom. 90% are gentiles. The complete number is 1,440,000!!

Yet another teaching lost to the WTS because they were thrown into total darkness just before the second coming and now they have no new light to try and impress their members with.

Don't you think 1,440,000 vs 144,000 is more realistic for managing the world population?

By the way, All of them TOGETHER (2 Thess 4:15,16) will be changed. Thus the 1st phase is the resurrection which is first in the flesh. Thus those resurrected join those still alive when Christ comes in the physical body. After they have served with Christ on the earth for 1000 years of the reign of Christ, then for a while being attackedby Satan who is let loose then destroyed, and then after they serve to judge the dead who come back on JUDGMENT DAY, it is then that they will all be changed "together" in the twinkling of an eye to heavenly bodies. When corruption puts on incorrection is when death is no more, thus thrown into the lake of fire. That does not happen until after the last man is judged. That doesn't happen until after the millennium and after Satan's destruction.

LS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit