Have a laugh at these cringe-worthy Watchtower interpretations. JW's must be so embarrassed.

by yadda yadda 2 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Gayle
    Gayle

JW's must be so embarrassed

problem is, shamefully, they are never embarrassed, never apologetic, and think they are the only ones that are "right."

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

Great job, Yadda, on that vast number of dates and numbers.

Yes, Russell started it all -- for JWs, that is. However, he was only clinging to Miller's shirttails on the basis he was convinced that Miller was on the right track but simply off on some calculation by 30 years. I think the following chart is from the Millerite movement. Russell referred to him in Watch Tower articles many times considered him a "brother" and in one instance even called him "Father".

His final reference to Miller was in 1915, the year before Russell died. He referred then to the work that Miller did as a necessary "sifting among the professed people of God. Some became all the more interested in the Bible as the Word of God".

Millerite chart

• carla
    carla

Thank you! marking

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

It's almost comical how Watchtower has waffled on the 1260 days alone. Placing these contradictions into a table may help some lurker better see what's happening. I created the following table in Word 2007 and apologize that the different colored rows don't come across. It helped to highlight the fact that there have been 7 position changes over the years.

The 1260 Days

Begins

Ends

Zion's Watch Tower, April 1880

538 AD

1798 AD

Zion's Watch Tower, Sep 1, 15, 1898

539 AD

1799 AD

Zion's Watch Tower, Aug 1, 1915

539 AD

1799 AD

Zion's Watch Tower, Aug 1, 1915[1]

325 AD

1585 AD

The Watch Tower and Herald...12/15/1929

Oct 1, 1914

Apr 1, 1918

Light 1 (1930)

Nov 7, 1914

May 7, 1918

Watchtower, Jul 1, 1951

Oct 1, 1914

Apr 1, 1918

Finished Mystery, 1969

Oct 4, 1914

Mar 26, 1918

Incoming World Government, 1977

Dec 28, 1914

Jun 21, 1918

Revelation Climax, 1988

Dec, 1914

Jun, 1918

Watchtower, Nov 1, 1993

Dec, 1914

Jun 21, 1918

Kingdom Ministry[2], Sep 2006

Dec, 1914

Jun, 1918

[1] "In another sense, however, the 1260 years would very properly extend from the year 325 A.D. to the year 1585 A.D. It was in the year 325 A.D. that the self-styled apostolic bishops convened under the patronage of Emperor Constantine, constituted themselves the Ecumenical Council of Nice, and formulated the first of the great Creeds, the Nicene Creed."

[2] An insert paste-up alters Revelation Climax page

• LUKEWARM
    LUKEWARM

Thanks for the list Fatfreek!

From what I can see, the 1988 Revelation book changes the dates entirely from the outbreak of WWI (28 July 1914) to early 1918…

*** re chap. 25 p. 164 par. 12 Reviving the Two Witnesses ***12 The John class had to preach this message for a definitely stated time: 1,260 days, or 42 months, the same length of time that the holy city was to be trampled underfoot. This period seems to be literal, since it is expressed in two different ways, first in months and then in days. Additionally, at the beginning of the Lord’s day, there was a marked period of three and a half years when the hard experiences of God’s people matched the events prophesied here—starting from the outbreak of the first world war in the latter part of 1914 and continuing to the early part of 1918. (Revelation 1:10) They preached a “sackcloth” message concerning Jehovah’s judgment of Christendom and the world.

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

I could never get my head around all the dates/numbers - it's only since being de-dubbed that I know why.

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

Thanks, Lukewarm, for that citation. I've since changed the table, removed redundancies, and uploaded it as a jpg file to Photobucket so that the link can be used anywhere -- email, etc. For that purpose, here's the link:

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u92/millerlr/WatchtowerWavering1260days.jpg

If you spot any errors let me know and I'll correct and re-upload the newer image. Len Miller

Watchtower wavering, 1260 days

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

Interesting.

Thank-you, all!

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

It all comes down to the BS system of Numerology.

Some people are suckers for it.

• sir82
    sir82
    It's almost comical how Watchtower has waffled on the 1260 days alone.

I suspect it is due to sloppy research, at least for the most recent flip-flops.

Say "Brother A" on the writing committee gets an assignment and has to research what the 1260 days mean. He digs until he finds something stating they began in October 1914, from some old WT article or old book.

Ten years later "Brother B" gets a different assignment, but once again has to research what the 1260 days mean. He looks up stuff in a different order than "Brother A" and writes that they began in December 1914, based on some other old article or book.

Four years later "Brother C" gets a different assignment but finds the same answer "Brother A" did. And so on.

Nobody on an editing committee has any clue what the heck the "correct" understanding is, so they just accept the reference given to them by the writer at at face value.

Given their lazy and/or inaccurate research on other topics, this seems the most likely explanation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit