Directory

by Outaservice 4 Replies latest jw friends

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

Having been out of the organization for 20 years now and having visited/attended a few churches since then, I've noticed that most have a church directory listing the regular attenders, members or not.

This is handy in trying to learn about various ones in the church, and in the event you want to send them a card, invite them over for a meal, and or a host of other reasons.

I always wondered why directories never existed for various JW congregations? Are they afraid of mass mailings of JW's that leave? Cannot the 'truth' stand up concerning everything they teach? Why are they so paranoid?

One congregation my wife attended did have a list, but only for a very short time before the Society squashed it. Very 'cultlike' in my opinion.

Outaservice

• Emma
    Emma

Why are they so paranoid?

Because if the end comes you don't want the list falling into the wrong hands!

And, you might also want to use it for something social; that's not allowed.

• blondie
    blondie

I was in two congregations that did have lists that circulated among the members. We had one but did not circulate it. The rank and file were told not to do it...as emma said. Unofficially, the lists continued.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Elders have a list of phone numbers of all publishers, but it is treated as confidential.

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

Our old congregation also had a list we passed around of members phone numbers and addresses . An announcement was made yrs ago to desist with this activity because in times of persecution it could get into the wrong hands . We never destroyed our list ,but we never passed it on either .

paranoia is a wonderful tool in the WTBTS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit