Minors going door-to-door

by doublelife 14 Replies latest jw friends

• doublelife
    doublelife

I just went to the silentlambs website and there is a link to criminalcheck.com where you can find registered sex offenders by zip code. So I typed in the zip code of the territory from my old congregation and I was surprised at how many people popped up. There was three pages of names and on almost all of those names I recognized the street address as one that I went door-to-door on. I looked up the address on google maps street view and some of those houses I actually remember going to. I was only about 17/18 and would go in service with a girl that was 14/15. It angers me to think about how easily we could have been snatched up. I remember lots of teenagers used to go in service without adults. It should be illegal to send minors door-to-door without adults. I've never heard of any young people being attacked or kidnapped when in service but just knowing how easily it could have happened upsets me.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers
    I've never heard of any young people being attacked or kidnapped when in service but just knowing how easily it could have happened upsets me.

Being that the Watchtower is so secretive about child molestation and domestic violence that goes on within the congregation for fear of "bringing reproach on Jehovah", I wonder if they wouldn't hush up the rape or sexual assault of minors in the door to door work. Anything is possible ith this whacko cult!

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

I understand that most victims are molested by somebody they already know rather than a stranger. That means they are still more vunerable at the Kingdom hall or family home than in the door to door work. Even then, they would probably be more at risk from the older person they are in service with as well. That said, my intent is not to minimize the risk of abduction either.

Until the other week, i had always assumed that my little girl would be the safest in the world being raised in that religion. Now, i am genuinely afraid for her and plan to have a talk to her asap about the dangers.

Oz

• moshe
    moshe

I see it all as child exploitation by the WT religious leaders. They know that householders are more likely to talk to JWs, if they have children accompany them. It does not matter to them, if the kids come in contact with registered sex offenders as part of this sales work.

• life is to short
    life is to short

I heard of one woman in the central part of Washington state that was raped and killed by going door to door by herself. She was in her 20's if I remember right. I was a teenager at the time and it was kept as hushed up as could be. You could not get anyone to talk about it. Scarred me to death but all I heard was it was her fault really because she went by herself. Sick

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I have actually been in field circus where an 8 year old was out in field circus all week. This was his only time off from school (April vacation), and he was dragged from door to door all f***ing week, all day every day. Now, whether or not pedophiles were in the territory, the fact that he was deprived of his school vacation is enough. Besides, regular crime is a problem in many of the territories where we worked that week--including people that would think nothing of shooting a small child that is in the way of a rival gang or drug dealer.

And this is normal. I have seen babies (babies as defined as being too young to walk without assistance) being dragged out in field circus in the dead of winter. I have seen all too many toddlers (as defined as being old enough to walk without assistance, but are not yet school age) being dragged out in field circus all day, being forced to ring the door bells and offer wastes of paper with a simple presentation. All to make it more likely that the householder will accept the littera-trash and go into the cancer.

Pedophiles in the territory or not, this forcing children to waste all day in field circus is enough. I definitely classify dragging children out in field circus, along with the spankings and beatings (and threats of more of the same when they get home) to be abuse. And, speaking of pedophiles in the territory, what about the pedophiles in the car group?

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers
    I heard of one woman in the central part of Washington state that was raped and killed by going door to door by herself. She was in her 20's if I remember right. I was a teenager at the time and it was kept as hushed up as could be. You could not get anyone to talk about it. Scarred me to death but all I heard was it was her fault really because she went by herself. Sick

Well, I see my instincts were right. I wish they weren't.

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

I heard this story too, but I heard it was a sister in Seattle. It was told to me by an elder in our congregtion, he said "the elders told her not to go out alone, but she did, so she did not have jehovahs protection."

The JW's, once again, blame the victim.

• Quillsky
    Quillsky

Do "modern-day Jehovah's Witnesses" even contemplate how antiquated the whole going door-to-door thing is?

It may have been somewhat normal in first-century to third-century Rome. It may even have been normal in the door-to-door encyclopaedia sales era of the 1960s in the West.

But now? In 2009/2010?

Do elder fathers really, with a clean conscience, send their teenage daughters out to preach door-to-door?

• life is to short
    life is to short

Just wanted to bump this one up because I think it is good to understand how crazy this all is.

Yes in the hall I was going to and all through all my youth I was sent to doors that were scary, pedophiles were studied with I now know that as an adult. I can clearly remember there were a couple of very creepy men who came to the hall and were always trying to talk to the children no one stopped them. The hall I attended as a child had parts of it that were very drug infested with many creepy homes. I was sent there as a young girl at the age of 17, 18 with elder kids who were 13, 14 years old. No one checked on us, we were just told to work the block. Sometimes an adult would try to have us work house over house but not often.

When I moved out on my own I always went out as much as I could because I totally believed it all. I had this small beater of a car that really should have held at the most four people. The seat belt law was only for the people sitting in the front seats at the time. I would met on Saturdays and all the elders and others would drop off their teenagers at the hall and go home. It would leave me with 5 or 6 kids and I was at the most 20, or 21. They made this one stupid kid a MS and who did not have a car and he thought he was so powerful being a MS. They all piled into my car which could not hold them and then the stupid MS would tell me what to do. This went on for a month or more and I had it. I went to one of the elder dads and said 'look you have got to do something." Like going out in service yourself would help but I was to in fear of this elder to really say that.

Well the elder dad was pissed at me. He told me to handle it on my own and talk to all the parents. I was like I can't do that. The parents will hate me and the gossip that will go around will destroy me. The elder used Matt where it say to 'go lay bare your faults' yad, yad, yad. I was like this is not a fault but a problem for the elders. The kids do not want to even be out service but they just want to hang out. I just cannot handle them on my own you have go to help me. The elder said "NO".

So I went on my own and talked to the parents. They all hated me and I was scum for years because of it. At least it did stop the kids from going out in service. The MS kid left the truth and went apostate.

I am now the age of that elder who I talked to and I still cannot wrap my mind around his thinking.

I swear this religion is so crazy. In the hall I just left they are still doing the same thing. The COBE is so happy his young daughters go out in service. It is not safe, it just is not. There are pedophile through out our territory as well as in the congregation so I guess that explains it. If the elders allow pedophiles in the hall why do they care about outside the hall.

This religion is so crazy. If people would only wake up.

LITS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit