Disfellowshipping-when did it start?

by target 17 Replies latest jw friends

• target
    target

Does anyone know when the practice of disfellowshipping by the JWs started? I doubt that it was done from the very beginning. I was asked that question this morning and it is not something I have ever thought about before.

Target

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster

No, but disassociation started circa 1980.

Slipnslidemaster:"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is."
    - Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

• Mulan
    Mulan

disfellowshipping was about 1954, as I recall.

Marilyn (a.k.a. Mulan)

• RR
    RR

uh huh .... Dfing started with Rutherford almost from the beginning of his reign as president. He wanted complete obedience and any who didn't were kicked out of bethel. Those who expressed their discontent in the congregations were usually Df'd or ignored.

As far as the ritual the Society goes through to DF someone, I can't say... My money would be on Knorr since he was the businessman of the org.

• Jankyn
    Jankyn

This is a vague memory from my teenage years (early to mid 70s), but I seem to recall that the term "disassociated" was used to refer to unbaptized people who had once been publishers and had left. They weren't quite as bad as the df'd, but close...you could talk to them, but were required to be smug and superior!

Jankyn

WWJD--

• YoYoMama
    YoYoMama
    Does anyone know when the practice of disfellowshipping by the JWs started?

During the 1st Century, A.D. The apostle Paul, by divine inspiration, wrote about it. Look into it.

• Esmeralda
    Esmeralda

[rubbing eyes]

jankyn, is that really you? i think of you so often...

hugs
    essie

• DB
    DB

Jankyn, I love your take on WWJD, LOL!

Speaking of which, since Jesus did associate with "sinners" and tax collectors, your WWJD question is relevant indeed.

• Englishman
    Englishman

YoYo,

You are almost as predictable as a JW.

Bring on the dancing girls!

• sunscapes
    sunscapes

Almost. Notice he said A.D. as opposed to the "Watchtower-ese-speak" "C.E." for common-era.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit