You guys would understand: How do you do this Festivus/Christmas crap

by saywhat29 28 Replies latest jw experiences

• undercover
    undercover
    When Thursday evening rolls around, and if you are awakened by some ugly, tall ghost-like guy. Who goes by the name of 'The Spirit of Christmas Past'...

That spirit...and hallucination...will be coming from a bottle on Thursday night, I can tell you that...

If he identifies himself as the 'Spirit of your JW Past'...

Then I'll know that I should have stayed away from the tequila...

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers
    UC: the problem is I feel like I have to work at the last minute to get folks stuff who've gotten me stuff because I never planned on doing it and am spending a little over my budet because of it. I want them to know that I care about them because I do and I *could* get them gifts and I feel a little selfish becaue I haven't and never thought about it either.

Starting in January, pick up items that you think your co-workers would like or are at least appropriate. Do this throughout the year while you are shopping for yourself. Then you'll be ready for Christmas next year. The key to enjoying the holiday is finding something that the receiver will appreciate and enjoy.

• Sam Whiskey
    Sam Whiskey

I'm not a not a good gift wrapper, but I try....and I think that's the point. The recipient isn't looking for perfection, they just want to know that they are loved...that's all. Of course, it helps if you put a little effort into, just like anything else.

Pull up a Youtube video on how to wrap a gift, it's not that hard, and kinda fun too!

As far as "not being to big on this holiday", I think you're kidding yourself. I think you love it but are not sure what to do with yourself because you've never allowed yourself to enjoy it. Just have fun with it, don't analyze it to death! If you don't want to celebrate, then don't, it's not a big deal.

However, just an observation, you do need to chill out a little bit, you seem pretty high strung.....

• greenie
    greenie

My thoughts:

1. It is truly, truly the thought that counts when it comes to git-giving, so if that tie on sale is the perfect thing for the person who got you the nice watch, then the tie is what you should get them. Also, since you should always remove the price part of the tag on gifts you give, how are they to know it was on sale?

2. You are not required to get everyone who gave you a gift one in return. If you want to, though, you can, OR you can put them on your shopping list for the next year, or just do something nice for them during the year, i.e. "I wanted to buy you lunch/ a cup of coffee, etc. since you were so thoughtful toward me at Christmas." I agree with those that have said people expecting gifts in return don't have the right mindset about this Christmas thing. If you want something easy, since they're work friends, buy them all nice coffee mugs and a $5 gift card to Starbucks. Easy peasy. Oh, or buy them a funny ornament. Place like Walmart and Target have TONS and some are really funny. Whatever you decide, your gifts don't have to be of equal or greater value, they can just be thoughtful.

3. On the tree discussion, you don't HAVE to cut down a tree at all. I can remember years we were too strapped to buy a tree and my dad just decorated a little, potted norfolk pine. Perfect! And sustainable! BUT, Christmas trees do smell nice!

4. Oh, and on the wrapping quandry: I can't wrap to save my life, which makes wrapping even more fun for me. I seriously crack myself up with the various folds and tape placement I use on my gifts. And you can always use gift bags. OH, and lot of places offer gift wrapping for you. Like Barnes & Noble or Macys. Just get them to do it.

• dinah
    dinah

Saywhat, you crack me up.

• nugget
    nugget

The way I would approach it is in the post Xmas sales look out for tree baubles that have been reduced. don't go for the plain ones choose those that look expensive but are reasonably priced. If you are a bit arty find the cheap ones and do a bit of decorating make them special. Either the name of a person if you know they will give you a gift or a christmas message for surprise gifts. Then next year you can give people tree baubles. No one knows how much they cost espeacially if customised and no one can ever have too many.

If you are really stuck I can customise baubles and make hand made tree decorations to order and send them in a box easy to wrap so feel free to PM me. Spent the whole of last 3 weeks making snow globes and hiding them round the house.

Alternatively buy small and medium sized chocolate reindeer or Santas for office workers and on the last day before Xmas leave them on their desk with a little note saying thank you for all your help this year. This goes down particularly well with female colleagues and requires no wrapping.

There is a certain amount of tit for tat giving, however as each year goes on those that gave in the hopes of receiving will not give again if their present is not reciprocated. Therefore do not feel pressured into giving to everyone. Decide who you want to give to and stick with it.

Save special gifts for those closest to you. It is unecessary to go overboard in these economic times people do not expect presents from all and sundry.

Final word on wrapping, rectangular shapes are much easier to wrap than irregular ones so if you can find a gift box to put odd shaped gifts in it does help. Make it as easy for yourself as possible.

Hubby hasn't a clue about Xmas and has never done it, usually have to wrap my own Anniversary present from him.

Hope this helps

• Jadeen
    Jadeen

Don't bother giving gifts at work- make a big pan of brownies or cookies and bring that in. You don't need to wrap and everyone likes sweets!

• beksbks
    beksbks
    1. It is truly, truly the thought that counts when it comes to git-giving,

Greenie, if someone tries to give me a git for christmas, I'll clock 'em! I have an ex husband!

Saywhat, you're GAY, and you can't wrap? tsk tsk. You obviously need to work on your GAYness.

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

http://www.festivus.biz/

my personal favorite part...

The Airing of Grievances.
    At the Festivus dinner, the celebrant tells their friends and family all of the instances where they disappointed the celebrant that year. Airing of Grievances Worksheet

lisa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit