JW expansion cancelled in Britain - official

by dmouse 10 Replies latest jw friends

• dmouse
    dmouse

Forgive me if this has been covered before but I only drop in occasionally.

I seem to remember some months ago that a poster talked about the planned relocation of the British Branch to Milton Keenes. I think he said that the move had been scrapped because of the lack of growth in Britain? I also believe that this decision had been made before the Sept 11th attacks. The society, on the other hand, are blaming the cancellation on events in the world, implying that it is directly linked to the attacks. Even if that is not the case, this is an interesting snippet in the latest Kingdom Ministry. I can imagine all the brothers across Britain excitedly discussing it because ‘it shows how close we are to Armageddon if the GB are calling a halt to expansion’

Anyway, here is the entire article quoted verbatim from the January KM for Britain:
    You may well recall that during the concluding talk at the 2001 “Teachers of God’s Word” District Convention the speaker mentioned the possibility of the Britain branch relocating in order to care for our expanding requirements. He indicated that further information would be conveyed to the brothers as soon as this was available.
    Of course, as you will appreciate, the ‘scene of the world’ has changed dramatically since then. (1 Cor. 7:31) The Governing Body has thoroughly considered the matter and weighed various factors that would have a bearing on their decision. They say “while we can appreciate that much work has gone into the plans for a possible new complex to meet the needs of the work, the Governing Body has determined that with the current changing world situation it would be best not to go ahead with building plans for Britain at this time.”
    May we take this occasion to express our sincere appreciation to all those who have volunteered their time and skills to aid us in the initial work of searching for suitable sites, drawing up outline plans, and presenting these to various officials. It has been a wonderful experience in pooling such a fine array of talented brothers and sisters and the lessons learned will prove invaluable for the future.
    We now leave the matter in the hands of the Almighty and his reigning king, Christ Jesus, and we feel sure you will do the same.

• Prisca
    Prisca

Very interesting. Thanks for the info dmouse.

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

Very intersting how they have interpreted recent world events and the weight they have put to them.

I wonder how those feel who worked so many hours on the project feel now? What a waste of time, energy and money.

At least the matter is in the hands of the 'Almighty'...

Path

• Englishman
    Englishman
    “while we can appreciate that much work has gone into the plans for a possible new complex to meet the needs of the work, the Governing Body has determined that with the current changing world situation and in view of all the flack that Englishman is giving us in exposing us as a bunch of assholes, oh Lord, why ever did we disfellowship him, we were so stupid, it would be best not to go ahead with building plans for Britain at this time.”

Englishman -Lust For Glory.

Bring on the dancing girls!

• MadApostate
    MadApostate

Let me start by saying that this issue is not one that I've followed closely.

It was my impression that the planned expansion was partly, if not mainly, due to work transferred to Britain from France, and possibly even Germany.

Hasn't there been indications on this db that the WTS either has or likely will soon be offically recognized by the French Govt, so that the previously relocated work can now be transferred back to France?

• rhett
    rhett
    I wonder how those feel who worked so many hours on the project feel now? What a waste of time, energy and money.

Doesn't that describe just about everything involving this cult?

I don't need to fight
    To prove I'm right
    I don't need to be forgiven.

• fodeja
    fodeja
    Of course, as you will appreciate, "the scene of the world" has changed dramatically since then. (1 Cor. 7:31)

Wow. I mean, can they say this without blushing? WTF does the "changed scene of the world" have to do with their expansion plans in Britain? And, if I may humbly ask God's sole channel of communication on Earth: shouldn't you have expected that "changed scene", considering that we're supposed to be in the last days with the big A just around the corner?

f.

p.s.: reminds me of this Onion article: http://www.theonion.com/onion3746/what_is_sexy.html

• Mum
    Mum

Shock a rock! They acknowledged the talents of "brothers AND SISTERS"!!!!!!! (emphasis added)

Regards,
    Mum, Useless talents class

Seize the day, and put the least possible trust in tomorrow. - Horace

I have learned to live each day as it comes and not to borrow trouble by dreading tomorrow. - Dorothy Dix

• alliwannadoislive
    alliwannadoislive

it's that old patronisingly reassuring 'nearly there kids' - just to make sure no more leave 'cos it's sooooooo close now ...

• Jim Dee
    Jim Dee

Twas I who talked about the move to MK of Derby,

Please see below the post put up on Jan 1st to this web site, as usual the society are telling the truth from their view point:-

The move to central UK (either Milton Keynes or Derby) has been scrapped - it has not yet been formally announced but is common knowledge in Bethel
    The Society is now buying a "Brown Feld Site" (the old gas works next to Bittacy Hill) for a reduced rate and a HUGE Government Grant as the land needs to be cleaned before build. They are selling some of the prime land at Bethel they own for housing (planning permission has already been obtained).

They are using part of the site of the french Bethel for storage of magazines (thereby circumventing the new tax laws) and are selling the rest of the site off.

More news as soon as I get it

Jim

As an addendum to that, a post mas made that showed the water rights access has already been finalised for housing and light industrial

Hope that clears up any misunderstanding

Jim

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit