Anyone ever really read this?

by EndofMysteries 8 Replies latest watchtower bible

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

2 Peter 2:18-19 - "For they utter swelling expressions of no profit, and by the desires of the flesh and by loose habits they entice those who are just escaping from people who conduct themselves in error. While they are promising them freedom, they themselves are existing as slaves to corruption. For whoever is overcome by anotehr is enslaved by this one. "

Depending who believes in the bible or not, coincidence or not, this IS talking about situation right now.

The "escaping from people who conduct themselves in error" - The JW's

- The other parts, have to figure out if you fit in to that or not.

• teel
    teel

Very true. One barely escaping a cult can be very vulnerable, and can be easily sucked into an other cult, because they offer the comfort of familiarity, or misguided by the apparent total freedom of the outside world, after years of shackles.

• cantleave
    cantleave

spooky - describes the cult mentality so well.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

And, to one extent or another, every religious group has it's cultish side. So do many non-religious groups.

The only safe place is with the clear thinkers. None of that in the lemming society I fear.

Jeff

• Perry
    Perry

"For they utter swelling expressions of no profit, and by the desires of the flesh and by loose habits they entice those who are just escaping from people who conduct themselves in error. While they are promising them freedom, they themselves are existing as slaves to corruption. For whoever is overcome by anotehr is enslaved by this one. "

This sounds exactly like the atheists on JWD.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Perry, your take on atheists is well known around here. But I disagree with you. Just to point out that atheists are being honest in pointing out the lack of evidence as to the Christian gods existence and involvement. Atheists have neither a specific philosophy or guiding rule, other then to point out "Where is god"?

I won't debate the point, just wanted to add my opinion to the fray and appreciate the opportunity to do so. Please continue to mis-represent atheists and agnostics as you always do.

• Perry
    Perry

atheism

/aythi-iz’m/

noun the belief that God does not exist.

— DERIVATIVES atheist noun atheistic adjective atheistical adjective .

— ORIGIN from Greek a- ‘without’ + theos ‘god’.

to point out "Where is god"?

There, I think that definition shows that atheists aren't really asking "Where is God". Otherwise, they wouldn't be atheists. They've already made up their mind.

Atheists have neither a specific philosophy or guiding rule

"While they are promising them freedom, they themselves are existing as slaves to corruption."

Atheists usually are pretty quick to parade the idea that they are not encumbered by "guiding rules" as if this is something to be admired. Years ago, people tried to hid this fact. However, atheism logically requires this to be embraced, and so moral relativism is adopted to provide a moral support for the atheist position.

The bible accurately predicts this emergence and simply points out that these lack of "guiding rules" actually makes a person a slave to his own vices.

I have nothing personal against atheists at all. It just doesn't work. I have about the same regard for religionists who try to be good, and imagine themselves to be "good". That dog won't hunt either.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Some of the atheists on here remind of this psalm.

Psalm 14
    A David Psalm

1 Bilious and bloated, they gas, "God is gone."
    Their words are poison gas,
    fouling the air; they poison
    Rivers and skies;
    thistles are their cash crop. MSG

As my four year old gg'son is wont to say, "Somebody e-melled gas!"

LOL.

Sylvia

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Didn't the NT Jesus say, "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." A moral code reflected in dozens of religious and philosophical creeds, that requires no belief in gods.

Many would say to truly be an empathetic moral person perhaps doing 'unto others as they would have us do to them' would be an even better code to live by. This requires not only reflection upon my actions and their consequences to others but recognition that my own standards of what is good and beneficial are not the sole determining factor in a moral person's behavior. But whichever way you prefer the so called 'golden rule', gods do not enter the picture.

Personally I fear people who need be threatened or bribed to do the right thing and most certainly do not regard them as morally superior.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit