Community Service - why looked down on when it was so encouraged by Jesus

by insearchoftruth 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

My wife yesterday was talking about how useless it really is to feed the hungry and provide cold weather shelters since the problem will not go away until the 'new system of things'.

I know that at one time Jesus does state that there will be poor always, but a key aspect of his ministry on earth was helping the less fortunate. How does the WTS justify the discouragement of its rank and file from performing acts of community service, when the 'greatest man who ever lived' was so active in it?

• carpediem
    carpediem

I agree with you. I always did think that way, even when an active dub. All of my dub friends did too. My attitude always was that Jesus fed the crowd before he preached to them. I didnt actually know anyone who said it wasnt important to look after the material needs of people. The problem is with being a dub though, you are so over stretched that you arent able to help in any other way than preach. I always wanted to though and it is something I intend to do now I have more time for myself.

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

I ask the question because my wife worked a soup kitchen about a week or two ago, and seemed very touched and motivated by the situation, wanting to do more, and now after meeting with the JWs she is studying with, she is really trivializing what she had done......

Since the Kingdom Halls do not provide food pantries, clothes closets or other aid for those in need, would a JW in need then have to rely on the government services as well as those services provided by other churches??

• poppers
    poppers

and now after meeting with the JWs she is studying with, she is really trivializing what she had done......

Tell her to ask those she helped feed how trivial it was.

• blondie
    blondie

The WTS believes that their "preaching" work is community service and is more important because it leads to everlasting life on a paradise earth; that they other kind of "service" is only temporary.

g948/22p.7KeepingEducationinItsPlace

"Speaking of volunteer work and community service, Matt has conducted countless hours of door-to-door preaching on weekends and after school and during summers. He works within the community and with a broad cross-section of people. Matt has demonstrated his leadership abilities and skills in conducting Bible studies with both the young and the old alike. . . . He is able to inspire people and help them reach their true potential.

• teel
    teel

All the while ignoring the clear Biblical message:

15Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. 16 If one of you says to him, "Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? ( James 2:15-16 )

But then again, they're not "brothers or sisters", they're just bird food, so why bother? Of course the same applies most of the times to those who they do consider brothers or sisters, I witnessed one occasion too.

• JAFO
    JAFO

Simple.. the WT$ looks down on it because there's no $$$$$ in it for them. And the good little 'publishers' slave-sales-persons are so brain-washed they just parrot the party line.

• Larsinger58
    Larsinger58

Anti-charity, anti-singing in a choir were some tedious issues I had with the WTS.

But I do understand because of their focus on the Good News.

Christ sent out "ten" slaves to do business, ten being a number of completeness not necessarily an exact number. I think these represent different "ministries" that focus on certain things and some focus on charitable deeds, others development of doctrine and prophecy or with the witnesses the preaching work as far as spreading doctrine, the "good news" and that was primary for them, with other issues seen as rivals to anything not related to the preaching work. So I let them sort of slide in that regard.

But, that is no reason for individuals not to be charitable. Further, it's interesting they are definitely charitable toward their own! They do open their doors for the brothers in times of bad weather ect. My parents took in a witness family displaced for a while from a storm and the brothers have a very organized and well developed method of checking on all the brothers in the congregation in case of emergency. But as wonderful as that is to see, it seems their hearts sort of have disdain and dispise the people in the world. Further, they seem to resent any type of genuine love others show when they become very active in charitable work, as if it is in vain. It's nice to know God sees the heart and recognizes genuine chairty to STRANGERS as shown by many in the world.

LS

• gubberningbody
    gubberningbody

I remember commenting to my bookstudy on the Neighborly Apostate once...

Luke 10:29 But, wanting to prove himself righteous, the JW said to Jesus: “Who really is my neighbor?” 30 In reply Jesus said: “A certain man was going down from Jerusalem to Jer´i·cho and fell among robbers, who both stripped him and inflicted blows, and went off, leaving him half-dead. 31 Now, by coincidence, a certain Bethelite was going down over that road, but, when he saw him, he went by on the opposite side. 32 Likewise, a Circuit Overseer also, when he got down to the place and saw him, went by on the opposite side. 33 But a certain Apostate traveling the road came upon him and, at seeing him, he was moved with pity. 34 So he approached him and bound up his wounds, pouring oil and wine upon them. Then he mounted him upon his own beast and brought him to an inn and took care of him. 35 And the next day he took out two de·nar´i·i, gave them to the innkeeper, and said, ‘Take care of him, and whatever you spend besides this, I will repay you when I come back here.’ 36 Who of these three seems to you to have made himself neighbor to the man that fell among the robbers?” 37 He said: “The one that acted mercifully toward him.” Jesus then said to him: “Go your way and be doing the same yourself.”

There couldn't be a parallel today more worthy of comparison in the minds of JW's than a Samaritan was to the Jews in Jesus day.

That got a few squeemish looks...

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

gubberningbody, I like that!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit