Newbie greets all

by LeeT 29 Replies latest jw experiences

• LeeT
    LeeT

Hi all, I thought I'd introduce myself to all you folks.

My background with the witnesses goes like this. When I was 10 my father dies, the following year my mother meets a new man. One of his work colleagues introduces them to 'The Truth'. When I was 12 they married.

I was dragged to Kingdom Hall for the Sunday morning service and to weekly house meetings for 6 years until I was 18. I always found their message unbeleivable and was surprised how readily they accepted and enforced it upon us kids. I took the first opportunity to move out when I started my degree. My folks have now been Witnesses for 30 years.

Discussing the Truth with my folks usually gets heated so I tend to avoid it. The internet and apostate sites prove invaluable in seeing what new light there is. I like to stay vaguely abreast of their current thinking and to research the odd issue.

My own views are atheistic and generally pretty liberal.

This is my second post here. The JW Friends/Marillion thread brought me out of my shell last night. Memories of JW craziness are brought back for me by mention of that band's name and I couldn't resist posting. See that thread for a little more insight into the sort of incident that made me run away from home.

Anyway, thanks for bearing with me this far. I don't think I'll ever become one of the 1000+ post regulars who hang out here, but I'll probably make the occasional contribution to this lovely site.

Anyway, greetings and thanks all for making the site work.

• Heartbreaker
    Heartbreaker

Welcome!

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Welcome! Do you have siblings, and, if so, did they make they great escape too?

• Quandry
    Quandry

Welcome!!

Were you ever baptised?

Try to remember that they are convinced they are right-as my husband and I were for over thirty years.....

You never know what "new light" the WTS might come out with to make them have doubts. It is good that you keep up somewhat on the "current light" and the changes, so that you can stay informed.

• nelly136
    nelly136

welcome

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Welcome!

• zoiks
    zoiks

Hello there and welcome!

• mouthy
    mouthy

Great to have you aboard ..

• asilentone
    asilentone

Welcome to the board! You just never know that you will post thousand times here before too long.

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

i kinda wish i was as smart as you at 10.

the next 37 years were the price of conformity

welcome

oz

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit