Researching an artist...anyone know how?

by coffee_black 15 Replies latest jw friends

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

My daughter used to own a small antique business. Someone in her town was going to demolish an old house, and Ali was given the chance to take the remaining items before the demolition. Among the remaining items was a stack of perhaps a dozen or more original pastels. Most are portraits... Some are quite powerful. Most are of african americans. They are signed and dated in the early 60s. The signature is VaJ. On one there is a full signature of Vera J. Blanton. It is obvious that Vera was/is a skilled artist. I've googled the name and initials and haven't found anything.

Does anyone have any itips or deas? Anyone ever hear of her?

Coffee

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

wow,

Maybe if you could find through court records previous owners of the house?

find someone that knows/knew her.

purps

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

Hmm, with a nickname like Vag, I mean VaJ.

Makes you wonder...

A friend of mine deals with that sort of thing, she has access to auction records and such, I'll ask her if she'll check out the name.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Would this be anywhere near Walker, Alabama?

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

It was in Winter Garden, FL. The artist didn't have to have lived there...maybe visited or stayed there for a while...

Coffee

• restrangled
    restrangled

Coffee, no matter what preserve these art pieces as they are. Do not frame them, keep them from moisture, etc....they sound wonderful.

I am related to a very famous potter. She produced a chalk painting during her college years. It fell into my mom's hands, and she felt it needed cutting down by 3 inches. Those 3 inches included her signature. It is now in the hands of an uncle who's wife hates our family. She has a tendency to burn, or rip things to shreds. (she is mentally ill at 85 years old)

No one knows this exists....when I think of it, it makes me ill.

So many people are so stupid about treasured antiques.

r.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

When I Googled Vera Blanton, obits and info from ancestry.com came up. Why don't you see if any of that information matches your daughter's city. You may be able to track down her or her relatives. Good luck. Let us know what you find.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

There is a Vera J. Blanton in the 1910 census. Location was Walker, Al.

I don't see any others with J initial.

I don't get why she would use "a" in her signature initials. VaJ seems very odd.

Do you have any idea how old the pieces might be?

Also, you can get info at 411 and it will lead from there to other places you can get info ...

She could have given these art works to a friend or relative in the WG area.

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

Thanks everyone. I didn't think of ancestry.... i have a membership to Ancestry.com. I'll check it out.

The dates on the peices are all in the early 60s. They are not in the best of condition. I wouldn't try to restore them... I know that would effect the value. I'll take pics of a few and post them during the day tomorrow when the light is good.

None of them are framed. Some are still on the original pad of paper... about 18" x 24" I was an art and art history major in college. I never heard of her...buy I feel they are significant.

I know the VaJ signature is odd, when the full signature is Vera J. Blanton. I'm thinking that maybe the J stands for her maiden name, with a as her middle initial? Maybe Blanton was her married name... No clue at this point.

Coffee

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

VeraJB1 Here are a few of the portraits. Still haven't found any more information, but will keep trying...

Vera jb3

Coffee Vera jb

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit