Remember this scripture: kindly yoke, light load, refreshment for your soul...

by Muddy Waters 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Muddy Waters
    Muddy Waters

Matthew 11:28-30 "Come to me, all you who are toiling and loaded down, and I will refresh you. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am mild-tempered and lowly in heart, and you will find refreshment for yourselves. 30 For my yoke is kindly, and my load is light.”

Do you remember this scripture? Did anyone actually feel that way or did you question it or yourself whenever this verse was read? I always thought something was wrong with me whenever I felt burdened on their treadmill of unrelenting busywork. I must not be spiritual enough if I felt the work was too heavy or burdensome.

But the cognitive dissonance would keep nibbling at me, trying to fit this scripture in with the way I felt, and how it just didn't add up.

(It was similar to that other scripture in James about looking after widows and orphans and knowing that we didn't really do this very well, if at all.)

What were your thoughts or feelings whenever this verse from Matthew was read?

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen
    This was the first scripture that hubby used to help me wake up. After quoting the familiar verse he simply asked, "Is it easier to be a Jew or a Jehovah's Witness?" Nuff said. He knew the treadmill of JWness had all but used me up.
  • James Mixon
    James Mixon

The borg was like crake cocaine. The meetings you are refresh for a minute but

as soon as you leave the KH, it feels as if you have horse on your back.

My load is light, sure but you need drugs to get thru the day. I got a hernia

from that organization.

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel

That is it! and that isn't the only scripture I felt about. Just like you, being a JW as well as having experienced other religions, I had always questioned my own spirituality. Always felt left out. Why is it that I don't feel like crying, just like everyone around me? Why is it that I don't feel excited about the upcoming assembly, just like everyone claims they are?

It wasn't until I decided to read the bible, unbiassed, that I felt those words working on me. They actually have a meaning now. I, for once, cried inside of me. So far, I am the only one crying in this crowd and I wonder... what is wrong with them? why are they not crying in joy just like me?

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

I never felt like they told me that I should feel. There were tons of "shoulds" and when I didn't measure up, I figured there must be something wrong with me. Now, it turns out that I grew up in a ridiculously emotionally abusive home and my emotions were pretty much walled off to protect me, but regardless I would watch people have certain intense feelings about things that I could never experience.

Since being away, I've come to realize that lots of the feelings that people have are just romanticized ideals. They are about as real as ladies reading ridiculous romantic novels that aren't how anyone would possibly act or react. JW's have a list of romanticized "shoulds" and they parrot these over the top feelings and works so as to fit in, when in reality they aren't how anyone would really feel or speak about the subject at hand. You just feel more "spiritual" if you do and say the right things. So much of what was said in magazines and from the platform wasn't relating to me because it seemed puffed up to be more than it was. All of the busy work that I was supposed to go ape over was just part of it. I did it all, but just got worn down. It never felt like the "privilege" that I was told it was, and in the end I just felt "used" in the congregation, like the verbiage often states, but not in the way they intend it.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Yes, yoke is kindly and load is light??

Is that why witnesses are supposed to do at least 12 hours a month, be at every meeting, answer at least twice per meeting, bring studies to the hall, conduct family worship, do personal study of the org publications, not associate with non witnesses, donate money....etc........always be doing more more more...??

Yep, sounds refreshing to me.....

• Muddy Waters
    Muddy Waters

omg, lovely comments, thank you, would like to address them personally...

but YES, - stuckinarut2, all those things you mentioned:

- 12 hours of service every month,

- be at every meeting,

- answer at least twice,

- bring studies,

- conduct family worship,

- do personal study of the organization's publications,

- not associate with non-witnesses...

(and I will add some here! So fun!)

- cleaning/repairing/buying/selling/renovating Kingdom Halls,

- counting all your field service hours & literature placement$ (but nowhere on that slip is a spot to say that you placed an actual BIBLE!);

- and don't be involved in any other charity or good work except the placement of WT literature & the building of KHs & huge branch facilities! - which are the only and best and most wonderful acts of charity and kindness there ever could be -- all those silly things like helping needy or destitute people by giving them food, clothing or shelter produces only scavenging, useless "rice Christians" who could never appreciate the awesomeness of the tracts and those flimsy magazines! -- and which are the only and most awesome thing needed today in these momentous(TM) times.

(Excuse me while I choke).

Because of course Jesus said all these things.

Jesus clearly commanded or told us to do all those things mentioned above --

- (and even more! Oh, oh! So exciting!) - I just thought of the wonderful and blessed gift of the special elder's-only book -- (even though we are all one and are united and have no leader) --

It is quite clear that Jesus -- or, excuse me, Jehovah himself said all those things, or Jehovah through Jesus -- told us that we need to do all those things.

It is all clearly laid out for us in the Bible (while keeping our load light and refreshing...)

It is all stated very clearly for us in the Bible at... uhhhh... In the bible book of.... Well, you know. Those very important words that Jesus said were also surely referenced quite clearly in those visions claimed by John, in some really wild Revelations to all those letters to those troubled congregations. Yes, we can read all about that counsel to the congregations. Please turn with me to Revelation.... (Ha! Did you notice my clever bait-and-switch? The red herring? The non-sequiturs? The wiggle and squirm and saying something else totally off topic and attempting to induce guilt at the same time? (Jesus' words turning into 'counsel'!) bah!!!

... Must ... Come ... Back ... To... Reality....

Whew. Hasn't this been refreshing...?

*gag*

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

Which is more refreshing, knocking on doors or giving to the homeless, donating

for the needed children in the world, children hospital , blood to save someone life.

After a day sitting at a JW stand compared to serving in a food line for the homeless.

• a watcher
    a watcher
    I'm quite happy being a JW because I know how to say "No, thank you". I let all that guilt-tripping peer pressure go in one ear and out the other, and I continue to serve Jehovah happily. It can be done.
  • stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Fear

Obligation

Guilt

All causes the load to be heavy and the yoke to be harsh.......

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit