Happy Anniversary!!

by JWinprotest 19 Replies latest jw friends

• JWinprotest
    JWinprotest

This past weekend I attended the circuit assembly, and on the Sunday they were interviewing a couple on the secrets to a successful marriage. The first question asked by the speaker was, "how long have you 2 been married?" The reply was 20 years....and 1 day. The speaker then says, "Happy Anniversary!!" and the audience applauds.

I always felt very strongly, even back when I was a full blown JW, that birthdays and anniversaries were exactly the same, and that they should either, both be cancelled, or both be celebrated. But when I heard the speaker wishing them a happy anniversary, it made me angry that everyone hearing that wish didn't connect the 2 celebrations, just because someone didn't lose their head celebrating an anniversary in the bible.

Anyways, just my rant for the day.......carry on!

• iMARX
    iMARX

Yeah I remember my dad having a problem with that, he always said they're the same as birthdays, but the fact that Jesus went to a wedding and nothing bad happened means that it's okay. But the two accounts of birthdays in the bible which bad things happened at makes it bad!

• treadnh2o
    treadnh2o

This reasoning will cause active JW's to bury their heads in the sand.

I have never heard even an illogical answer to this.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

On December 25th we celebrate the anniversary of when Jesus Christ came into this world, not the DATE he was born mind you, for he was "from the beginning" with God, we celebrate the anniversary of when he came into this world as a human.

2009 years ago, more or less :D

• dissed
    dissed

I feel the same way.

A good friend, a chairman of the RBC, celebrated his 50th anniversary and the JW's threw a great surprise party/dinner for 250 people. They even roasted him like a comedy show, figuratively beheading him, and showered them with gifts.

What's the difference between that and a birthday party?

I've never heard of a birthday party any where that went so far, have you?

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    A good friend, a chairman of the RBC, celebrated his 50th anniversary and the JW's threw a great surprise party/dinner for 250 people. They even roasted him like a comedy show, figuratively beheading him, and showered them with gifts.

Who was that?

Not Gord Nixon?

• iMARX
    iMARX

Yeah we always had the stupid brothers and sisters anniversarys in the KH diary pretty much. And it was always the strongest families in the truth that got the biggest celebration. One family had its whole generation in the truth and the grandparents had there one thousandth anniversary and all the children and grandchildren learnt Morris dancing becuase the grand dad's name was Morris!!!!

They hired a hall, all the sisters made cakes (because that's all they're scripturally allowed to do) and the brothers put on the hard part, the entertainment, ya know with all the gadgets and equipment i.e. a CD Player.

They even rehearsed and performed plays and shows based on biblical stories.

• treadnh2o
    treadnh2o

"On December 25th we celebrate the anniversary of when Jesus Christ came into this world, not the DATE he was born mind you, for he was "from the beginning" with God, we celebrate the anniversary of when he came into this world as a human.

2009 years ago, more or less :D"

I stand corrected-I have now heard an illogical explanation!

• dissed
    dissed

PSac....

No, it was a JW from here in Phoenix, Arizona

imarx -

That's incredible. With the end being so close, you wonder where they found time to accomplish such a feat!

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    I stand corrected-I have now heard an illogical explanation!

Really? How so?

Anniversaries are the same things as birthdates, that is a given, both mark the beginning of an event on a yearly basis.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit