Eight year old boy baptised

by dozy 8 Replies latest jw friends

• dozy
  • blondie
    blondie

470 deaf delegates attend Jehovah's Witnesses Convention

More than 470 delegates from the deaf community in Ghana on Sunday, defied the scorching sun to participate in the international four-day convention of the Jehovah's Witnesses in Accra.

Wielding handmade fans and umbrellas the delegates were exposed to the event through the use of sign language.

About 49,024 Jehovah's Witnesses from Ghana, Europe and other African countries attended the convention on the theme: "Keep on the watch".

Some of the foreign delegates expressed their appreciation about the proverbial Ghanaian hospitality accorded them.

Ms Araba Koomson, a Ghanaian- born American told the Ghana News Agency that memories of the hospitality would remain with her for a very long time.

Eight year old Charles Okang, who was among some 870 delegates to be baptised said he had set a spiritual goal of becoming a full-time evangelist.

"Love for Jehovah and love for my neighbours has motivated me to serve God for the rest of my life," he said.

Master Okang, who is a member of the Sakumono Central congregation, said he conducts bible studies with two of his friends, adding that it was his hope that they would imitate his example and get baptised as he strive to follow the footsteps of Jesus.

Story from peacefmonline.com News:
    http://news.peacefmonline.com/religion/200912/33715.php

Published: 2009-12-07 02:22:17

© peacefmonline.com

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Well, the eight-year-old is obviously "mature" if he uses the word "motivated" when talking.
    The statement is a little bit coached and still half BS.

• delilah
    delilah

Well that's all good and wonderful for that young lad, but I can't help but wonder what will happen when he reaches puberty and wants to be a normal boy... Children shouldn't be baptised into the JW cult until they reach real maturity.. Jesus was 33 wasn't he, when he was baptised? and he was born a perfect man......

• lepermessiah
    lepermessiah

I didnt think Witnesses performed Infant Baptism!

Seriously, those experiences really break my heart. That kid barely knows how to tie his shoes, let along make a decision like that. (especially in JW world where if he changes his mind later in life, he is going to be ostracized)

So many of my friends were baptised at 9,10,11.....many of them are now DF'ed.

A really good friend of mine waited until he was 19 since he had some doubts. Of course, he had an incident and was DF'ed a couple of years later by a witch-hunt of a committee...Needless to say he has never come back.

I was considered old when I was baptised at 14. That is still way too young.

Of course, at this point to be baptised as a JW, I think any age is too young!!!!

• agonus
    agonus

I've heard of kids as young as 6 getting baptized. I can tell you for a fact that one of our D.O.s said that kids as young as 7 could be eligible for baptism. His reasoning? "Can children as young as 7 answer the baptism questions? Many of them can." Of course, this is the same guy who said that if you don't Regular Pioneer you won't make it into the New System of Things.

Christ, how did I manage to bite my tongue around such people for so long?

• agonus
    agonus

I wonder if Brother Horny-For-Armageddon would say the same thing about a 7-year old being able to decipher the what, 10 pages of legalese regarding the no-blood-yes-blood insanity.

• Mary
    Mary

Eight year old Charles Okang, who was among some 870 delegates to be baptised said he had set a spiritual goal of becoming a full-time evangelist.

I guess as long as a kid isn't wearing diapers, they can technically claim that they don't perform "infant baptism". Since the repercussions for breaking any of the WT rules is as severe for an 8 year old as it is for a 30 year old, shouldn't they have a disclaimer on their baptism card? And since the Society views your "dedication and baptism" as a binding and legal contract, is it even legal to let a minor enter into a something like this? It's not like it's Bar Mitzvah or Confirmation where there's the potential for you to be shunned and expelled if you decide to celebrate a birthday down the road.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

If they would only make the rules reasonable, this wouldn't be such a problem. Having a group where the only rule is not to initiate the use of force, threats of force, or fraud against another person or their property would be quite simply going along with these children's nature--in fact, it usually takes about 6 or 7 years for society and religion to create laziness, dishonesty, and envy in children.

But, when you have rules that are not even disclosed until baptism, I am against children committing. When you have rules that go against basic human nature, I am against children committing. When you can get kicked out of your home at age 12 if you later break one of those rules, I am against children committing (just ask Ja Rule about that one). When you are going to be hounded to pio-sneer every time there is a school vacation, I am against children committing. And, I know the witlesses are very much against human nature, they hound you to pio-sneer all the time, and consequences for breaking the rules are very harsh.

And, "You need to regular pio-sneer or you will not make it" is quite harsh. If it truly was fulfilling, there would be many more people turning in slips with triple digits every month, without any hounding. A truly fulfilling ministry would have people getting up at 6 or 7 in the morning eager to go (not at 9:20 in the morning with a cup of coffee, struggling to even get up). You would get in, and almost forget that it is lunch time or quitting time. I have almost never seen that happen while I was out in field circus, unless some a**hole insists on ignoring the time to keep me out several hours late.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit