Boy Sent Home From School For Drawing Pic Of Jesus Dead On A Cross!

by minimus 48 Replies latest jw friends

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Regardless of what it may have truly looked, the image of the cross should be enough.

I've got 2 crucifixes in my house. I'm Catholic, and we don't sugar coat it. When I feel burdened by life and struggling, I look at these and am reminded of Christ's sacrifice for me, and my own struggle has a greater meaning.

"When I came to you, brethren, I did not come proclaiming to you the testimony of God in lofty words or wisdom. For I decided to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ and him crucified" (1 Cor 2:1-2).

"But far be it from me to glory except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world." (Galatians 6:14)

BTS

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

BTS, I can appreciate that sentiment.

But I have seen some stuff that goes WAY over the "nailed Christ", I am Portuguese and some of the RC of my country and the Island of Azores over due it BIG time !

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

It's cultural. The Spanish are the same. North American culture is different.

"we preach Christ crucified: a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles" (1 Cor 1:23).

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

BTS,

Yes, quite.

Like I said, in regards to the cross itself, I have no issues, I just don't see the image of Jesus ( that looks nothing like him typically) on it as "kosher".

The early Christians turned a symbol of torture, oppression, fear and death and turned into one of Hope, love and salvation, I don't think we need to add any "image" on it, that's all.

• agonus
    agonus

Hey, I ordered my stauros medium rare! This stauros is well done!

• VIII
    VIII

What if the kid were a JW and put JC on a stake, tied with rope? The poor teacher would have really been confused.

Hopefully the kid would have his WT book (can't recall which--The Great Teacher?) and show JC with the two thiefs all bound on the stakes together. Remember that?

• minimus
    minimus

I heard the mayor is upset about what the school has done now.

• agonus
    agonus

You know, I don't think the illustrations in WT lit switched from cross to stake until at least the 40's or 50's. So that shows that the cross was used for the better part of a century!

It's staggering when you think of how much WT doctrine has changed - repeatedly - over less than a century and a half. Seems to me like the RCC, which has been around for almost 2000 yrs, has to catch up to the WT in that dept!

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Having been raised Catholic,

it would have not been horrible for a child to depict Jesus on a cross as this young boy did.

Many homes I have been in homes with a cross displayed with Jesus nailed to it.

We had crosses in our homes but none with Jesus on them, I guess we were just not that Catholic!!!!

Many Catholic churches I have been in above the alter is Jesus Nailed to a cross.

It is the way this child has been taught and raised.

You would need to question, at the very the Catholic religion

and very many Baptist I know have pictures of Jesus nailed to the cross in their homes.

purps

• agonus
    agonus

The Church of Scientology uses a cross.

The wouldn't be caught dead defiling it by putting Jesus on there, however.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit