Is it possible for an Elder to get back his "priviledges" after being demoted?

by african GB Member 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• african GB Member
    african GB Member

For example, if he was demoted due to one of his children(who are still under him) being DF'd or is no longer "exemplary".

AGBM

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Happens all the time. Time passes and people are promoted again. The quickest way is to step aside before they remove you when something bad happens, but either way- happens all the time.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I wonder how many deleted elders would even want to go back to being one again. They must enjoy the added free time.

W

• jabberwock
    jabberwock

I have a few questions about this myself.

Do elders who resign or are removed have to re-qualify as ministerial servants before they can become elders again? When it comes to being reappointed, are former elders who resigned given different consideration than those who were removed?

I have known elders who have stopped serving for various reasons, but I have never heard of someone being demoted to ministerial servant. Is demotion even possible?

• JWoods
    JWoods

I personally know of someone who was DFd for immorality, Divorced, and then was later made an Elder.

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

An elder who resigns has up to a certain number of months to request to return as an elder, otherwise he has to wait to be appointed as a ministerial servant. An elder who is removed has to wait to be appointed as a ministerial servant. I have seem both situtations.

Demotion is not possible. I remember one elder who wanted less work by becoming a ministerial servant and that just did not happen.

• lepermessiah
    lepermessiah

Like the above folks said, its very common.

If you are male, breathing, and get 10 hours in field service a month, you are a prime candidate regardless of your past.

I personally know of someone who was DFd for immorality, Divorced, and then was later made an Elder.

Thats common as well.

I know of at least 4 cases locally where the guy was an elder, cheated on his wife, was DF'ed, never missed a meeting and was reinstated quickly, and then was re-appointed as an elder several years later.

The WTBS has an "unofficial" year limit if I remember (7 years or something like that)

Nice to see the holy spirit picks such charming guys!

• RR
    RR

Yep, I knew of plenty of elders who lost their privileges and got them back. I knew several who were actually df'd, reinstated and got their privileges back!

RR

• geevee
    geevee

There was a guy here where I live, who was an elder, had a slightly shady business deal, explained his way out of it, but because of the "noteriety" was demoted to ms..... he then jumped congs and was re-appointed as an elder in no time flat.

• JWoods
    JWoods
    Yep, I knew of plenty of elders who lost their privileges and got them back. I knew several who were actually df'd, reinstated and got their privileges back!

This is, IMHO, a sort of "stealth" change that happened without really being announced. When I was in overseer's school back in the winter of 1970, it was plainly stated as part of the instruction that no person who had previously been DFd could serve as a servant or assistant...ever.

That was before Elders, and of course before they have seen trouble filling the positions.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit