Tao Te Ching vs 22

by AK - Jeff 28 Replies latest jw friends

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I say let's all clink a few TsingTao's to usher in Peace and Joy and all that Christmas cheer! I like the way you think OM.

Jeff

• awildflower
    awildflower

To my understanding the Tao is over 2000 years older than the Bible and much more enlightening. PSacramento summed it pu nicely and I totally agree............wf

• WalkTall
    WalkTall

It wasn't until I started reading Wayne Dyer's book on the Tao that I even knew it existed. Having been a JW for so long, I didn't even realize that there were other ancient books out there that could teach us so much (dumb I know). It opened the door for me to realize there is so much ancient and modern wisdom to learn from. The Bible is included on that list, but it by no means is the only place we can search for understanding and life lessons. Farkel, you summed it up so nicely. Love the Tao!

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portal:Taoism

For a beginning base perhaps.

Jeff

• Open mind
    Open mind

I'll join you for a "virtual" clink of the bottles AK-Jeff!

(Make sure to lift your bottle or glass heavenward though, or the gods won't hear it.)

Seriously though, I'm laying off the booze starting today, except for a few family gatherings (some JW, some non-JW) where I'll have a social drink. Since I'll be "cheating" that way, I'm gonna go 2 months with no booze. Gotta put it down in writing somewhere.

Cheers!

om

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

There is something here that is not of ourselves at play.

I would instead say, there is only 'that which is within us all' at play.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    I would instead say, there is only 'that which is within us all' at play.

Interesting point, Void. Along with the Tao Te Ching, I picked up a copy of Jung's "Man and His Symbol's", which I think makes a similar argument about the human psyche.

Incidentally, in the Chinese translation of the Bible, the Logos is translated as "Tao".

"In the beginning was the Tao, and the Tao was with God, and the Tao was God".

I can't help but see some similarity attempt at comparing between these two texts (forgive me if I am totally off base and reading my own self into the text too much):

Tao Te Ching 1

The tao that can be told
    is not the eternal Tao
    The name that can be named
    is not the eternal Name.

John 1

No one has ever seen God, but God the One and Only, who is at the Father's side, has made him known.

Tao te Ching 7:

The Master stays behind;
    that is why she is ahead.
    She is detached from all things;
    that is why she is one with them.
    Because she has let go of herself,
    she is perfectly fulfilled.

Phillippians 2:

Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus:
    Who, being in very natureGod,
    did not consider equality with God something to be grasped,
    but made himself nothing,
    taking the very nature of a servant,
    being made in human likeness.
    And being found in appearance as a man,
    he humbled himself
    and became obedient to death—
    even death on a cross!

Many similarities

BTS

• awildflower
    awildflower

Since the Tao is older than the Bible, makes me wonder about the Bible writers and where they got their info!......wf

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

and old "theory" is that while Jesus was wandering around in his 20's, he went to asia and picked up taoisim and buddhisim and voila, Christianity was born.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit