I ordered Combatting Cult Mind Control

by doublelife 8 Replies latest jw friends

• doublelife
    doublelife

I feel like it's been so long since I posted anything even though it's only been a couple of weeks. Well, Thanksgiving dinner went ok with my husband. He told me before we went that he doesn't think Thanksgiving is wrong.

Two days ago, I filmed the movie scene I had talked about before. I had about seven lines. It was so much fun. And I made a couple of friends on the set who added me to their facebook. Now that I have a speaking role and a commercial under my belt, my goal for next year is to start looking for an agent.

When I came home, I got Steven Hassan's book in the mail and my husband saw it. Now he's on the defense. I think he's nervous that I'm going to start showing him things in the book. I haven't started reading it yet but I do have a question. I seem to remember a thread were someone had posted wt articles that proved the things Steven put in his book applied to witnesses. Does anybody happen to have the link to that thread handy?

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

(1) At the time Hassan wrote this book, he didn't know anything about Jehovah's Witnesses. This is a powerful point. Why? As you read the book, you'll think that almost everything he says applies directly to the WT organization. It will reinforce in your mind that fact that WT is not 'special' and 'different'. They're just like hundreds of other high-control groups.

(2) The thread you're referring to is at the JWR forum, here: http://www.jehovahswitnessrecovery.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=737&start=0

(3) The book never mentions Jehovah's Witnesses. In the Appendix, however, there is suggested reading material, for more information about particular groups. One of the sections lists some book applicable to JWs, including some of the familiar Apostate Greatest Hits. If you remove this one page from the appendix of the book, there will literally be no mention of JWs whatsoever. As such, it would not be an apostate book, in any sense of the term.

• cantleave
    cantleave

LeavingWT - Excellent point, I hadn't realised that even though I doid notice he never mentions JW's in the book.

• flipper
    flipper

One of the best moves you have made Doublelife ! Very good ! Steve Hassan's second book printed in 2000 called " Releasing the Bonds- Empowering People to Think For Themselves " does mention Jehovah's Witnesses very often . And how to reason with them. I highly recommend it after you have read " Combatting Cult Mind Control". By 2000 Steve had discovered more about Jehovah's Witnesses which led him as Leaving WT says to include them among mind control cults in his second book along with several other cults. Good luck to you, hang in there ! Peace out, Mr. Dlipper

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Can you tell us the movie's title? That way we can all say we "knew" you when...

Hassan's book will blow your mind. I was out for almost 20 years by the time I read it, and it had that effect on me.

• HappyGuy
    HappyGuy

Hoping to start a profitable business with what I learn therein.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    Hassan's book will blow your mind.

Indeed. This book single-handedly removed ALL fear of any Armageddon from me. I realized that my fear of Armageddon was an irrational fear, slowly programmed into me. It's a Boogey Man, a control mechanism of sorts. All high-control groups have an "Armageddon" mechanism for controlling their members.

• mouthy
    mouthy

He is a great guy ..When I was on Sally Jessie Rhapheal ,he was in the Audience & mentioned

he had NOT written about the WT in that book. Do read it.GREAT BOOK

• doublelife
    doublelife

Thanks for the link to that forum leavingwt. I forgot that it was on a different site. I would've never found it on my own. I can't wait to dig into the book.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit