Circular Reasoning....

by Aeiouy 4 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Aeiouy
    Aeiouy

I love circular reasoning. It's so easy to make up anything you want. One of my favorites is when I asked an elder about Bible Canon:

Me: "So how do we know we have the right Bible? Who decided these were the books we would use?"

Elder: "There were Jewish Councils that were created to establish Canon from Apocrypha."

Me: "How do I know I can trust those Jewish Councils?"

Elder: "Because the Jews were God's people."

Me: "Says who?"

Elder: "The Bible."

Me: "......................."

Any other favorites out there?

Aeiouy

• HappyGuy
    HappyGuy

I just went through this with some crackheads on here.

I said that Jehovah was a demon from a more ancient mythology and then I listed 4 pages of evidence taken from the Old Testament word for word IN CONTEXT to back up that statement.

Then the crackheads said "those are lies", and I said "how do you know that?", and their reply was that the New Testament said that the scribes made up lies to discredit god but then Jesus came to tell the truth, and I said "How do you know that?", and the answer was "because the New Testament tells us so".

LOL So, we cannot believe the Old Testament because the New Testament tells us so and we shoud believe the New Testament.

BRILLIANT.

• TD
    TD
    Any other favorites out there?

JW's love circular arguments so much that it's hard to know where to start.... How about this?

"The worldwide preaching of the good news by God's people proves we are living in the time of the end."

"The worldwide preaching of the good news in the time of the end proves Jehovah's Witnesses are God's people."

• OnTheWayOut
  • glenster
    glenster

A difference between faith in a possible God and circular logic required to
    commit to the JWs leaders--God is possible, they're not.

The JWs leaders are the only rule makers of a literal 144,000 as defined by
    their dozen or so specialties which define the JWs leaders as the only rule
    makers of a literal 144,000. This is established by the best evidence and
    reasoning which you aren't supposed to explore because that responsibility is
    best left to the JWs leaders.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit