Embarrassed myself by following WT dating advice

by White Dove 10 Replies latest jw friends

• White Dove
    White Dove

I was a good little dubby. I tried to keep up with studying, only had JW friends, and ALWAYS followed what the WT pubs said about how to date. I followed it EXACTLY!

If there was a brother that I was interested in, I'd ask if it would be okay to get to know him better. I did this twice but never again. He'd read it, eyebrows shot up and stayed there, and eww expression on his lips with squinted eyes, all completed with a vigorous headshake and vocal, "NO" with a shudder.

I'm no dog. I have good manners and answered at meetings with regularity. After both times of following suggestions in the QYPA book and making sure I was up to snuff on the list they have in there for desirable mates, I had enough humiliation.

But I honestly think one of the brothers was gay. And, quite probably, both wanted someone a little more real (less Watchtowery).

Have you had any embarrassing dating or attempting to date moments because of the horrible advice in that stupid book or other publications?

• dinah
    dinah

I never followed any of their dating advice, but then I was never a very good Dub.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Damn it! You set off another PTSD Flashback!

It wasn't until after I left the WTS that I learned how to relate to women romantically.

• babel on
    babel on

same here! I felt like an awkward school boy until i broke free and even then I had alot of trouble! I was in my late twentys before I started to get it right but once it clicked I could talk ass out of Ellen D! Found Christ and a wife thank God before my unit fell off! I was making up for supressed puberty I reckon...LOL!

• HappyGuy
    HappyGuy

I was lucky. I found the book Women are From Venus, Men Are Neandrathals and adopted the romance philosophy:

Me See Woman

Me Want Woman

Me Take Woman

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

They do that on purpose so they can make it impossible for "brothers" to find "sisters" and pair off. That frees them up for the Value Destroyer Training School (I wonder what is so damn special about that thing--I would like to see it shut down forever). Their advice simply does not work. The answers do not work. And, when they do not work, the witlesses are stuck as witlesses forever.

Yet, they will have a cow if you date worldly people, using methods not from the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger.

• White Dove
    White Dove

Would that work for you men if a woman asked if she could get to know you better? How did you feel when you were asked, if you were?

• HappyGuy
    HappyGuy

I would just quote scriptures that used the word "know" in them like "and then Adam knew his wife and she begat a son..." and said ABSOLUTELY HUBBA HUBBA!!!!

• Marni Mai
    Marni Mai

Hah! No one asked me if they could get to know me better, no matter how much my mother threw them at me. Probably coz I avoided guys like the plague and made an effort not to talk to them.

Like Dinah I wasn't a very good dub anyway so when I started dating (at like 16, which I guess isn't too bad) it was the dodgy ones who were doing the 'double life' thing lol. My husband wasn't too bad but certainly doesn't follow things to the letter. He does what he wants.

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

Dont forget, that book was likely written by some bunch of doddery old men who cant even remember what a date is? Some funny fruit? Think it might be something to do with sex? ooooooh, better make it really hard work for em!

god, i hope my kids lose that book!

oz

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit