What's with JW's and X-mas lights?..........

by awildflower 16 Replies latest jw experiences

• awildflower
    awildflower

Nice array of responses friends. ChickenLittle, I never thought of the lights that way before, but that totally makes since! I love the lights myself, I just feel guilty that I taught my kids that it was ok to enjoy the lights but have nothing else to do with the holiday. I'm happy to report though that my 13 year old daughter and her dad got into x-mas this year. There's a small tree on the table and everyone is slowly gathering gifts. Even though I remain pretty neutral about the whole thing (I have other probs with x-mas besides the one's I've been taught) it makes me feel good to see them doing this together and my daughter having so much fun with it. For one of her presents she actually wrote her dad, me and her brother a personal letter. To me, that would be what this is all about. Can't wait to read it!..........wf

• lovelylil2
    lovelylil2

In one hall I was in most of the members were not born into the org and celebrated Christmas during their childhood. These are the ones that enjoyed looking at Christmas lights. My husband and I used to drive around with our kids and look at them and we knew others that did so too.

The next hall I was in were mostly raised in the org. and these are the ones who were afraid to even look at the lights for fear of being struck dead instantly by jehovah.

Its funny my husband and I were just discussing this very topic last night. We put our lights up this past weekend and I love turning them on as soon as it gets dark. I hope some of my old "friends" do service on our block so they can see our pretty lights, hee, hee.

• life is to short
    life is to short

Where I live no one says that. They all say it is pagan and that they hate the lights. Two years ago we went on coffee break and the coffee house had lights up this little witness girl loudly say how Jehovah hates X-mas lights. Everyone in the place just looks at us like we were some kind of freaks then an older brother who is not all there comes in and says the same thing out loud. I just wanted crawl out of the place, as everyone was just thinking us JW's were nuts.

The next day at the meeting the PO in the WT study goes on and on about how wonderful it was that our young children can pick up on the way Satan works and he tell how this little girl was not fooled by the X-mas lights and how wonderful it was that she spoke up. OMG it is so sick.

LITS

• poppers
    poppers

My dad and mom say "the lights help Jehovah know which people to destroy".

I guess he's not very omniscient.

• carla
    carla

I don't get it either! One year my jw took the long way home from Grandma's (Christmas dinner) so we could check out the lights! He even went so far as to turn around so we could see this one house that was literally covered top to bottom in lights! The kids asked me about it the next day and all I could say is what you guys have said previously about how jw's think about lights or that maybe because he was a newbie he hadn't gotten the memo that lights are bad? They just took it as yet another hypocritical or inconsistent thought/actiion of jw's.

• sacolton
    sacolton

I think it's the only time they stick their heads out from their dreary dark cave and envy what they won't allow themselves to enjoy. Kinda like the Grinch, but their hearts remain very very small.

• JerkhovahsWitless
    JerkhovahsWitless

My mom admits to the lights being pretty, but the people are "marked for death"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit