Congregation "Bible Study" Comments - Week Commencing 7 December 2009

by LUKEWARM 13 Replies latest watchtower bible

• LUKEWARM
    LUKEWARM

*** lv chap. 13 pp. 144-159 Celebrations That Displease God ***

KEEP YOUR WEDDING UNDEFILED

Q16, 17. (a) Why should Christian couples planning to get married examine local wedding customs in the light of Bible principles? (b) In regard to such customs as throwing rice or its substitutes, what should Christians take into consideration?16 Soon, "no voice of a bridegroom and of a bride will ever be heard in [Babylon the Great] again." (Revelation 18:23) Why? In part because of her spiritistic practices, which can defile a marriage right from the wedding day.-Mark 10:6-9.

17 Customs vary from country to country. Some customs that may appear innocent may have their roots in Babylonish practices that are supposed to bring 'good luck' to the bridal couple or their guests. (Isaiah 65:11) One such tradition involves the throwing of rice or its substitutes. This practice may have had its roots in the notion that food appeased evil spirits and kept them from doing injury to the bride and groom. Additionally, rice has a long mystical association with fertility, happiness, and longevity. Clearly, all who want to remain in God's love will shun such tainted customs.-2 Corinthians 6:14-18.

"...may have" so they are speculating again?

"Additionally, rice has a long mystical association with fertility, happiness, and longevity" - Well wouldn't that reasoning apply to the Pinata too or does the WTS have a double standard here?

*** 'Awake!' 2003 9/22 p.24 The PiƱata-An Ancient Tradition***
    "A main concern is, not what the practice meant hundreds of years ago, but how it is viewed today in your area. Understandably, opinions may vary from one place to another. Hence, it is wise to avoid turning such matters into big issues. The Bible says: "Let each one keep seeking, not his own advantage, but that of the other person."-1 Corinthians 10:24."

Q18. What Bible principles should guide both the couple planning a wedding and those invited to attend?
    18 Servants of Jehovah likewise refrain from worldly practices that may rob weddings and wedding receptions of Christian dignity or that may offend the conscience of some. For example, they avoid giving speeches tainted with hurtful sarcasm or sexual innuendos and refrain from practical jokes or remarks that can embarrass the newlyweds and others. (Proverbs 26:18, 19; Luke 6:31; 10:27) They also avoid lavish fairy-tale receptions that reflect, not modesty, but "the showy display of one's means of life." (1 John 2:16) If you are planning a wedding, never forget that Jehovah wants your special day to be something you can always look back on with joy, not regret.

If "...lavish fairy-tale receptions..." reflect a "the showy display of one's means of life" then what do these pictures reflect?http://members.shaw.ca/tt3/p/p.htm

[Footnote]
    See the three articles on weddings and social gatherings in The Watchtower, October 15, 2006, pages 18-31.

TOASTING-A RELIGIOUS GESTURE?

Q19, 20. What does one secular source say about the origin of toasting, and why is this custom unacceptable to Christians?
    19 A common practice at weddings and on other social occasions is toasting. The 1995 International Handbook on Alcohol and Culture says: "Toasting . . . is probably a secular vestige of ancient sacrificial libations in which a sacred liquid was offered to the gods . . . in exchange for a wish, a prayer summarized in the words 'long life!' or 'to your health!'"

"probably a secular vestige of ancient sacrificial libations" -

• LUKEWARM
  • LUKEWARM
    LUKEWARM

GLORIFY GOD IN WORD AND DEED

Q23, 24. How might we give a good witness concerning Jehovah's righteous standards?23 Many people view the days of certain popular celebrations primarily as opportunities for family and friends to get together. Thus, if someone wrongly assumes that our Scriptural stand is unloving or extreme, we can kindly explain that Jehovah's Witnesses value wholesome gatherings of family and friends. (Proverbs 11:25; Ecclesiastes 3:12, 13; 2 Corinthians 9:7) We enjoy fellowship with loved ones throughout the year, but because of our love for God and for his righteous standards, we do not want to tarnish such happy occasions with customs that offend him.-See the box "True Worship Brings the Greatest Joy," on page 156.

"...if someone wrongly assumes that our Scriptural stand is unloving or extreme" - what manipulators! Always looking for ways to seem superior to any other Christian denomination.
    [Box on page 156]
    TRUE WORSHIP BRINGS THE GREATEST JOY

Jehovah is "the happy God," and he wants his servants to be happy. (1 Timothy 1:11) This fact is reflected in the following scriptures:

"The one that is good at heart has a feast constantly."-Proverbs 15:15.

"I have come to know that there is nothing better for them than to rejoice and to do good during one's life; and also that every man should eat and indeed drink and see good for all his hard work. It is the gift of God."-Ecclesiastes 3:12, 13.

"As regards the generous one, it is for generous things that he has given counsel; and in favor of generous things he himself will rise up."-Isaiah 32:8.

"Come to me, all you who are toiling and loaded down, and I [Jesus] will refresh you. . . . For my yoke is kindly and my load is light."-Matthew 11:28, 30.

"You will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."-John 8:32.

"Let each one [give] just as he has resolved in his heart, not grudgingly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver."-2 Corinthians 9:7.

"The fruitage of the spirit is love, joy, peace, . . . kindness, goodness."-Galatians 5:22.

"The fruitage of the light consists of every sort of goodness and righteousness and truth."-Ephesians 5:9.

24 Some Witnesses have had good success in sharing with sincere inquirers points from chapter 16 of the book What Does the Bible Really Teach? Remember, though, that our goal is to win hearts, not arguments. So be respectful, maintain a mild temper, and "let your utterance be always with graciousness, seasoned with salt."-Colossians 4:6.

Share points NOT from the Bible but their publication! Wonder how they would answer the questions posed in this analysis of the publication: http://www.archive.org/stream/ResponseToWhatDoesTheBibleReallyTeach/Response_to_What_Does_the_Bible_Really_Teach_djvu.txt

Q25, 26. How can parents help their children to grow in faith and love for Jehovah?25 As Jehovah's servants, we are well-informed. We know why we believe and practice certain things and abstain from others. (Hebrews 5:14) So parents, teach your children to reason on Bible principles. By doing so, you build up their faith, you help them to give Scriptural answers to those who question their beliefs, and you assure them of Jehovah's love.-Isaiah 48:17, 18; 1 Peter 3:15.

"As Jehovah's servants, we are well-informed" - the WTS is either ignorant or seriously deluded to the facts http://www.jwfacts.com/

• elder-schmelder
    elder-schmelder

I remember when I used to try to figure out what I can do and what I can't do.

It's good to be free.

elder-schmelder

• shopaholic
    shopaholic

I'm a Toaster and have been for many years. I went to the library to research it years ago after someone inquired why I did not toast at a major corporate function. You what I learned...that there are several schools of thought on the origin of toasting and not all are associated with spiritual rituals.

Para 22: Conscience matter? There is no choice as everyone in your congregation will chose for you. Even when I bought into their doctrine I never agreed with not celebrating birthdays, thanksgiving and the new year.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

Colossians 3 and Romans 14 make it quite clear when Paul says each one should make his own mind up on a celebration or other customs.

He actually condemns the men who tell others what they should or shouldnt do

HB

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I notice here that this article mentions everything that one could possibly do. For instance, I never knew that
    celebrating Christmas was worship to the sun or the Devil, until the witlesses mentioned that. And, most people
    do not intend to false-worship by toasting or throwing rice. It is merely part of the festival, not an act of worship
    to any false gods.

And I notice they are mentioning the worldly holidays. On the day of the holiday, one is supposed to be extra
    careful to not stumble others into thinking they are observing the holidays. I guess there goes a lot of the eating
    of holiday food (eggnog, turkey, cranberries, pumpkin pie, and candy canes). This is going to make for a lot of
    problems with witlesses not being allowed to do things because it might be associated with a holiday.

Happy? You work hard because you are not allowed to get a college degree, and then all the money goes into
    the Worldwide Pedophile Defense Fund while you get hounded for missing a boasting session or for short hours
    in field circus because of your extra work. Enjoying the fruit of your labor? As for family gatherings at any time
    of year, most of them are within the framework of field circus or boasting sessions. I have not seen that many
    family gatherings that are not ruined by boasting sessions and field circus. When are the witlesses allowed to
    just gather together? Never.

• booby
    booby

A christian should likewise be careful in the use of confetti. Do they know where it is derived from. Could the paper have been used for apostate messeges for example. If the little circles have printing on them from such sources, what if they were assembled in such a way as to form a readable apostate message, and the reader succumbed to the debil, would the wedding party members share bloodguilt?

• cry
    cry

I remember my ex (JW) who was a 'best man' at his brothers KH wedding had no idea about the history of toasting and at the end of his 'speech' asked everyone to 'toast' the bride and groom........lol. Utter silence!

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

I thought having bridesmaids was a pagan custom. They are supposed to divert the attention of the Devil from the bride. What about the wedding ring?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit