Has any other GB member achieved a university degree aside from Lloyd Barry?

by DNCall 16 Replies latest jw friends

• designs
    designs

Albert Schroeder received an honorarium degree. Paul Johnson was the degreed scholar of the Society as an Associated Bible Student, he split from Rutherford to form the Laymen's Home Missionary movement which is still in existence.

• zarco
    zarco

Lloyd Barry is the only one. Albert Schroeder did not have an accredited degree. As noted above, "Bert" and Barry were largely responsible for the tolerant view of education. With Barry's death the writing vs service department war was lost by writing and the hardline policy returned. We had opportunity to spend sometime with "Bert" and Judah Ben. Judah seemed to be very open about the faults of the WTS as an organization (not its teachings). He had a lot of good ideas to change the structure and some of the organizational processes. I don't think he was taken that seriously. I think that was a factor in he and his wife leaving Bethel and pursuing a law degree. He wanted the credentials to be taken seriously at Bethel.

zarco

• crownboy
    crownboy

Albert Schroeder completed 3 of 4 years at the University of Michigan, but did not graduate because he decided to go to Bethel.

Rutherford became a lawyer long before you needed to go to both undergrad and law school to sit for the bar (you merely needed to apprentice with a lawyer for a certain amount of time).

IIRC, the late GB member William K. Jackson was a lawyer, so he may have gone to college as well.

As far as what Lloyd Barry studied in college, I remember once reading his life story in one of the magazines (over a decade ago, so I can't recall all the details), but I'm pretty sure he majored in biology (someone with a JW CD rom could probably look it up).

If Barry was behind the (semi) liberal college policy, then good on him. In Ray Franz's books, he seemed to have been one of the hardliners along with Jaracz and Henschel, so he either mellowed a bit overtime, or was somehow capable of being reasonable on somethings (as opposed to Jaracz, who seemed to always be hardline on everything).

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

The GB members with any real stature have long gone. The current crop are third rate opportunists in my opinion.

They draw from the well of ignorance, a bottomless, inexhaustible resource. They spread the contents around with great skill and enthusiasm.

Bert and Lloyd were at least to some extent honest believers

• St George of England
    St George of England

*** w60 9/15 p. 552 Pursuing My Purpose in Life ***

My early life was spent in Christchurch, New Zealand. As a schoolboy I worked hard at my studies and won first place in the University Entrance Scholarship, a prize for which all of New Zealand’s colleges and high schools vie with one another. I was on the way to becoming an atomic scientist, but now materialistic, evolutionary thinking began to surround me, and I soon found this to be just as unreasoning and worthless as the clergy’s “hell-fire” teaching. The Bible began to exercise its full power in my life. Though I went on to take my master’s degree in science, I was devoting almost pioneer time to the ministry during most of my university days. I was often in the vacation pioneer service.

George
  • Saename
    Saename

I know Geoffrey Jackson didn't even finish high school and is regarded as a Biblical "scholar."

People today have forgotten what the word "scholar" means, I guess...

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

I don't think so, but, I have worked with many University Grads and I can't see the difference between those who apply themselves and the graduates.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit