Baptism

by Aeiouy 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Marni Mai
    Marni Mai

"I was baptized at the ripe old age of 10. Yes that's right, 10. That should be illegal. What kind of 10 year old knows what they want to do for the rest of their life? I think there should be a limit on when one can get baptized. There is a reason you're not considered an adult until you're 18. It's because you're not an adult! And even at 18, who in their right mind really knows what they want to do."

Exactly! I was baptised at 14 and really, I was pretty young and naive. It was what was expected of me so I did it. I've seen 9 yr olds getting baptised. It's pretty scary.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

I really don't see the issue with JW baptism. Personally I think it's better than how other religions do it.

You could have been a baby being baptised into the church. Then when you were 10 went through classes became confirmed ands start partaking communion because mom n dad wanted you to. How is that any different?

----------------------

JW Baptism is different because of the penalties applied to it.

A baptized JW can be disfellowshipped and thereby shunned - a non baptized JW cannot. So in essence, if a non baptized JW commits adultery and is not repentent, he'll simply be counselled and maybe lose some privilege; the baptized JW who commits adultery and is not repentent will be disfellowshipped. (By the way this is just an example of a crime but it could be anything). A non baptized JW who spouts the same apostate stuff as a baptized JW again, will not suffer shunning as will the disfellowshipped person.

Two sets of rules for everyone sitting in the KH so it is always better to remain unbaptized - I'm sure God would understand that allegiance should never be to a corporation.

The WTS is a one way door and sadly, people are trapped once baptized...and that is distinctly unlike the majority of other religions. That vast 'other' majority, do not shun their members, do not track them down and denounce them publicly and divide loyalties and families. There is nothing good about JW baptism and because of the severe punishment meted out to those baptized ones, it should not even be allowed within the congregations until one has reached adulthood - preferably around mid twenties at the very least. sammieswife.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers
    I really don't see the issue with JW baptism. Personally I think it's better than how other religions do it.
    You could have been a baby being baptised into the church. Then when you were 10 went through classes became confirmed ands start partaking communion because mom n dad wanted you to. How is that any different?

It is different, because most religions don't insist that the whole congregation, including family, shun people who change their minds about the faith into which they were baptized.

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

The Bible contains no information as to the age of commitment.

People can be ready at varying ages. I was ready at 15.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Cold Steel, thats not very fair. The occasional succesful marriage between two 18 year olds is the exception, not the rule. It's about allowing minor to be kids and learn.

The bible doesn't comment on a lot of things, but that shouldn't be interpreted as tacit approval for kids to make such decisions. It is a travesty that JW's allow this.

• dgp
    dgp

I think Happy Guy has hit the nail. Baptism is an act of faith, a sign that you believe something. The society has changed it into a vow, a legal contract you have signed with THEM, not with the God you believed in when you baptized. That alone is reason enough for that "contract" to be invalid: you were thinking you were giving a proof of faith, not a lifelong commitment to an organization. And then, they don't seem to explain things too well, and the "contract" is entered into by one party who doesn't always have the "legal age" to do it.

On the other hand, I think it's always wise to avoid the absurd. If you no longer believed what you used to believe, what do they really want with you?

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

There a reason why children are`nt allowed to enter into a contract,in the Real World..

It`s so ScumBags like the WBT$,can`t take advantage of them..

...................... ...OUTLAW

• trueblue
    trueblue

I thought about getting baptized but I haven't the time for what the congregation expected out of me. It is hard to explain, but it is humanly imposssible with my employment and other things. I would need be married to an elders daughter to explain things for me.

I did the best I can do, and I think that is what is required is to do your best, but evidently it is not good enough for the elders. Too bad for the WTS, and good for me for I think it is no longer a requirment to be baptized with water anymore anyway. I think being baptized by water is under the mosaic law and we are no longer under the mosaic law.

Look back what John the baptist said Mathew 3: 11 "I, for my part, baptize YOU with water because of YOUR repentance; but the one coming after me is stronger than I am, whose sandals I am not fit to take off. That one will baptize YOU people with holy spirit and with fire."

• garyneal
    garyneal
    According to the elders in my JC, my faith isn't allowed to change. I made a vow. A life long commitment. And I have an obligation to uphold that vow. Interesting points though about swearing to a corporation. Too bad that won't work with the R&F.

Then the elder's are obviously in direct contradiction with the recent July 2009 Awake article.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPlhXI812yc

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Wasn't Jesus 10 years old when he get baptized in water as an outward symbol before all onlookers that he was dedicated to Watchtower Corporation?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit