Bipolar disorder

by LunaFing 21 Replies latest watchtower medical

• blondie
    blondie

For practical info on mental illness and access to peer support groups:

www.nami.org

• Opus92
    Opus92
    Now, she calls me everyday to make sure I'm ok. I dont answer the phone because she bombards me with questions and harasses me about coming back to the "truth".

My mother has been one of my most persistent triggers. One of the best things my therapist ever told me was that I don't have to answer the phone when she calls. It's a small, silly thing, but it's helped me gain some control and keep myself sane. I also e-mail her because it's slower than telephone calls, allows me to relax, and gives me time to think about where the conversation should go.

As far as the constant pressure to go back to the "Truth": I finally told my mother that there was no way I would ever go back to that religion. I made sure she understood that I wasn't interested in talking about it with her. She didn't get the point at first. It took me ending a few conversations as soon as she brought up anything JW for everything to connect for her.

Oh, and just in case you haven't heard it enough -- stay on your meds.

Good luck!

• LunaFing
    LunaFing

Thank you all for your advice. I've been taking Lexapro 20mg for two and a half years. I was on AmbienCR for a year and a half. When I was in the hospital they put me on Lamectal 150mg. It didn't do much for me, and I developed an allergic reaction to it 2 weeks after starting it. I am now taking Seroquel 150mg and it seems to be working. I'm cycling much slower and my manic episodes aren't as severe. I am also taking Vistril 50mg and Ativan .5mg for my anxiety. I am doing everything I can to lead a normal life. I see a therapist once a week. I have a great support group. So, to summerize I'm taking: Lexapro 20mg, Seroquel 150mg, Vistaril 50mg, and Ativan .5mg.

• yellow
    yellow

I`ve had bi-polar for 12 years now and sorting out your meds is trial and error. I had been on an antidepressant that made me like a zombie for years. I came off that and felt a thousand times better. I`m now on lithium and another drug which have been fantastic and I now have a zest for life. Sometimes I thought I was completly of my rocker would sing and dance in the streets with buskers and then would come the lows unbearable suicidal thoughts. At one time I tried to throw myself of a train. With persistantly talking to doctors to get something done, I was afraid that I would be successful in my suicide attempt they finally listened to me and gave me a tablet that actually works. I found the advice from elders in the hall of no use they are not trained in this field. (one elder accused me of being drunk one night, while on a trip away, and the following morning it was suggested I had a hangover. Going to meetings never helped many bros/sis never knew how to speak to you, and I found were quite patronising, I guess they thought they were trying to help. All the talk of do more, study more and pray more never helped only increased my feelings of low self esteem and self worth which only exacerbated my symptoms and made me worse. I eventually got out and have never felt better since. (hope this helps)

• glenster
    glenster

Call Me Anna (ISBN 0-553-27205-5), and Brilliant Madness: Living with Manic Depressive Illness (ISBN 0-553-56072-7)

• trueblue
    trueblue

To tell you the truth, I don't think it matters who you are, if you go see the psyc. they will give you a diagnosis of something.

You could go to three different doctors and get three different diagnosises.

One thing I am certain of Bipolar is confused with PTSD more then anything.

The JW organization can and does give people Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. (PTSD)

I have PTSD and my treatment is stay away from JWs... It works...

• cskyjw.sun
    cskyjw.sun

i have bipolar after i refused to take my neutrility stand(i served the army)

• moshe
    moshe

My 2nd wife was bipolar- good luck. I imagine the drugs that are available work better than the standard lithium therapy that was used 20 years ago.

• blondie
    blondie

Actually, lithium still works well for some people with bipolar. Medication is individualized more nowadays with more choices available. Being a jw doesn't cause bipolar any more than it causes diabetes. But with the right meds and good therapy, you can find balance. It is a mental "illness" not a conscious choice to be that way.

www.nami.org

http://www.webmd.com/bipolar-disorder/slideshow-bipolar-disorder-overview?ecd=wnl_day_062410

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

The temptation to go off your meds when you start feeling better is very strong for alot of people. Definately good advice to stay on them.

I don't know if you have the rage tendencies that most bi-polar people do, but do your best to recognize that you are the one not always thinking properly and that some problema are your's and not others.

My mother and sisters both have bi-polar. It's a difficult road. Check in regularly with your doctor.

Hugs to you,

Palm

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit