"Autobiography of a Died-Again Christian"

by leavingwt 61 Replies latest jw friends

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

The case that no JW "knows exactly how it feels", to be a Christian.

You've made the huge assumption that the JW's is the only christianity I have known.

My heart is open,

I want to believe

How do I do it?

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    My heart is open,
    I want to believe
    How do I do it?

A very valid question and to one that I must say that:

There is no "one way" to let God into your heart, it is different for everyone.

The relationship you cna h ave with god is a very personal one and you will get there, if you get there, by whatever means you and God "agree on".

Some become atheists before thet become Christians, some are born again, some have a revelation, some become christian to only become athiest to only become Christian, and so forth.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Sphere

You've made the huge assumption that the JW's is the only christianity I have known.

Actually, that's not true either.

My heart is open,
    I want to believe
    How do I do it?

Faith is a gift. It's not something you do.

You say your heart is open? Open to what? What do you want to believe?

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

The case that no JW "knows exactly how it feels", to be a Christian.

Sure looks like you made that assumption right here.

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

I want to beleive that there is a loving omnipotent being that ultimately has things under control.

And I want to believe that children that live short miserable tortured lives go to a "better Place" after there dead.

For a start

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

I see you want to believe that, but do you think you can?

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

I'm not into word games.

• superpunk
    superpunk

You didn't ask me, but I feel like I have an answer.

I "can" believe things which are true. I can't believe things that aren't true, no matter how much I may "want" to. We all have any number of things that we "want" to believe. We'd all like to believe that death isn't the end, that wish-granting fairies are waiting in enchanted forests and that Ryan Seacrest doesn't suck. But in the absence of any sort of empirical evidence, most of us dismiss all these things that we "want" to believe as fantasy. Others dismiss *most* things that fall into that category, but make special exceptions and allowances for things which they deem "holy".

There doesn't appear to be any point in believing in things that aren't true simply because we "want" to.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Its not a word game, it really isn't and I don't want to make it seem that way.

Its just that wanting is one thing, being able to is another.

And with God its no different.

Its long and in 15 parts but VERY worth i t.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxc0NpTZE18

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

I "can" believe things which are true. I can't believe things that aren't true, no matter how much I may "want" to. We all have any number of things that we "want" to believe. We'd all like to believe that death isn't the end, that wish-granting fairies are waiting in enchanted forests and that Ryan Seacrest doesn't suck. But in the absence of any sort of empirical evidence, most of us dismiss all these things that we "want" to believe as fantasy. Others dismiss *most* things that fall into that category, but make special exceptions and allowances for things which they deem "holy".

There doesn't appear to be any point in believing in things that aren't true simply because we "want" to.

AMEN!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit