Going Back to School - Help!

by Georgiegirl 9 Replies latest jw friends

• Georgiegirl
    Georgiegirl

For everyone who is going back to school (and I know there are several of us, not just me! :) ) -

What do you wish you had known before going back? (I'm looking for questions dealing with the process of returning to school).

For those who haven't gone back but want(ed) too, what held you back? Was it finances? Fear? etc etc.

I'm working on some research about people going back to school. THANK YOU!

gg

• snowbird
    snowbird

I would like to complete my college degree, but I have anxiety attacks.

I'm going to try online when I get all the right equipment.

Sylvia

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

"For those who haven't gone back but want(ed) too, what held you back? Was it finances? Fear? etc etc."

First - I need to define which/what kind of school. I don't have high ambitions, I suppose... I would just like to graduate with a 2-year Associates - that I started so many years ago - and didn't finish.

What is holding me back? Not finances... not at a two year junior college... I think that it is perhaps the classes that I always figured were nonsense classes... like American Govt., English, Math - and other courses.

I think that I would need to take these - and a few others - before I could qualify for a two-year graduation.

I have already asked a fella who works at the local 2-year college - about what I would need to complete the necessary courses... just haven't heard back from him.

Regards,

Jim TX

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers
    What do you wish you had known before going back?

That a liberal arts degree won't get you too far unless you live in or are able/willing to travel to a big city.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

People going back to school need to understand the difference between learning for the sake of learning and learning for a job or profession. Like jamie says, a lib arts degree is probably not going to get you a good job. A lib arts degree might be great for someone who wants to learn, but not for someone who would like a better career. This is something that a lot of people jst don't understand... especially witnesses.

• HappyGuy
    HappyGuy

Make sure you get a degee which is very difficult and specialized so that there will be 10 jobs for every qualified person.

Go on job search sites where employers have to pay to list the job and search for keywords in anything you think you might want to do.

Look at salary ranges in your desired field.

Talk to people who do recruiting. Get the journals for your field and look at the want ads. KNOW that you are getting a degree where there are 10 jobs for every qualified person before you sign up.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Here's a tip: If you want a job, go into healthcare.

If I could redo my college education (BS + Masters), I would seriously consider being a Physician's Assistant, or going into Physical Therapy.

• Quandry
    Quandry

What you should know first is that YOU CAN DO IT! Do it for yourself, if nothing else. You have a brain....you can use it to think for yourself. I am in college and I am 57 years old. I have learned some fascinating things. I have taken courses that interested me....Geology,

Geography, Biology, Art History, History, Languages.....

I just wish I had not waited. My husband was an elder for twenty years and thought it would be setting a bad example for me to be in school. Now that we are "out" I cannot go full time as I would like, because I work full-time, but am determined not to give up.

I don't like sitting in a class with much, much younger people. I am sure they wonder why I am there. But I persevere, and love everything (except Math) that I have learned. My favorite courses are in History. Some classes can be taken on computer if you are a self-disciplined person...and aren't we, if we could force ourselves to go out in service, and sit for hours in the KHall?

Go forth and enjoy...see what the WTS does not want you to learn!!!

• cantleave
    cantleave

My best advice is.....Remember no question is stupid, if you don't understand something ask!!!!!

• chickpea
    chickpea

first off... yay for even THINKING
    about geting on with a diploma

dont buy your textbooks
    (unless you really want a
    specific book for later reference)

chegg.com.... college book rentals!

online coursework requires not only personal discipline
    but also prolonged family support and courtesy.....

i break up the isolation of online by taking basic courses like
    English comp (at much lower tuition) at the local tech college....
    (check with the online college registrar first to see if it transfers)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit