Pinatas?

by garyneal 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• garyneal
    garyneal

I recall reading somewhere on this site that the pinata was originally used in worship of a sun god and that in spite of this, the WT society allows this tradition. Is this true? I was presenting this conundrum to my wife and I wanted to verify this information.

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

Absolutely true Gary...according to the WTS, the original meaning tied to the pinata has lost its significance over time, so the use of it is now a matter of conscience for the individual to decide on. Ironic that they don't apply the same logic to birthdays, Christmas or Easter...

• garyneal
    garyneal

Does anyone know if this was covered in any WT and what that WT was? My wife trusts everything that comes from the WT.

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

I don't have the reference in front of me, but it was dealt with in a QFR or an article perhaps 4-5 years ago.

Prompted me to wonder about birthdays, but the line clearly was drawn between pinatas and birthdays. Don't quite get why, as there are dull birthdays around these days, not much bloodshed.

• boyzone
    boyzone

Hi Gary

The article is found in the Awake mag of Sept 22nd 2003.

It says in part.

*** 'Awake!' 2003 9/22 p.24 The Piñata—An Ancient Tradition***

A main concern is, not what the practice meant hundreds of years ago, but how it is viewed today in your area. Understandably, opinions may vary from one place to another. Hence, it is wise to avoid turning such matters into big issues. The Bible says: "Let each one keep seeking, not his own advantage, but that of the other person."—1 Corinthians 10:24.

• JAFO
    JAFO

Hi garyneal... my handy-dandy WTF-Tower Library 2008 on CD to the rescue!

From the 7/8/2004 Asleep! Questions From Readers

Piñatas I read with interest the article “The Piñata—An Ancient Tradition.” (September 22, 2003) It left me with some questions. The ties to false religion are well-documented. But the article seemed to take the position that as long as it doesn’t bother someone’s conscience, it is OK. What about birthdays and holidays such as Christmas?
    S. W., United States
    “Awake!” responds: Christians refrain from any celebrations or customs that continue to involve false religious beliefs or activities that violate Bible principles. For example, the Bible definitely puts birthday celebrations in a bad light. (Genesis 40:20; Matthew 14:6-10) However, if it is very obvious that a custom has no current false religious significance and involves no violation of Bible principles, each Christian must make a personal decision as to whether he will follow such a custom.

The 2003 article referenced above, in part says:

We found that for many people in Mexico, the piñata has lost its religious significance and is considered by most to be just harmless fun. In fact, piñatas are used in Mexico on many festive occasions, not just for the posadas or for birthdays. And piñatas can be purchased in many forms other than the traditional star shape. They are sometimes made to resemble animals, flowers, clowns.
    When considering whether to include a piñata at a social gathering, Christians should be sensitive to the consciences of others. (1 Corinthians 10:31-33) A main concern is, not what the practice meant hundreds of years ago, but how it is viewed today in your area. Understandably, opinions may vary from one place to another. Hence, it is wise to avoid turning such matters into big issues. The Bible says: “Let each one keep seeking, not his own advantage, but that of the other person.”—1 Corinthians 10:24.

That should be enough to set you on the right track...

• garyneal
    garyneal

Thanks, I'll see if I can get a copy of the July 2004 Awake (Asleep) to read the rest of the context. That first quote was very interesting as I had to reread it to ensure that it wasn't making an allowance for birthday celebrations.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

I believe the WT inserts a phrase in that same article that the Bible definitely reports negatively on b-days. Talking out of both sides of the mouth!

• garyneal
    garyneal

It does, it clarifies that first and foremost. Wasn't there another awake article concerning having a 'balanced view of customs?' It too spoke very dimly of Christmas and Birthdays while allowing for everything else that was rooted in paganism.

I swear, it must be terrible trying to keep up with all of this twisted thinking.

• Quandry
    Quandry

When my daughter was in elementary school, I took great pains to make sure that she would not be involved in any parties that included a pinata. Imagine my surprise when one day I found out that it was now O.K.!!!

I felt like an idiot after telling her that she could not be included and thinking that now I might have to go back and say it was acceptable after all.

One day you are expected to believe something is evil, then the next day it is not.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit