Realization I had today

by xeracia 3 Replies latest jw friends

• xeracia
    xeracia

Today I attended my aunt's graduation. She went through the adult education program and got her GED. We were supposed to do this program together and due to family issues, I had to back out and could not finish. So while I was sitting there today listening to the program, the speaker was talking about how these students had gone through hard times. They had dropped out of highschool to go to work to support their families, or they had had rough childhoods and gone through hardships and then realized the importance of an education later on in life. And then different graduates came up and gave their stories. It was all quite inspiring. And it pissed me off! Because I realized that I did the work!

See, I was one of those kids that was homeschooled. I was forced into homeschool in ninth grade. I continued my education and I have the knowledge. I just don't have the piece of paper. So now I have to fit the time in to go down and do the freaking testing because my parents were dumb and didn't take me down to do it when I was a teenager because they thought it wasn't important back then. They thought I was just going to be a little housewife to some elder and be a pioneer so it wouldn't matter. And this is why I am finding it so difficult to go down there and do this. As much as I try not to be resentful towards my parents, because I know they thought they were doing what was best for me...this is the issue I cannot get around.

Yay to my aunt for graduating!!!!!

Thanks for listening to me rant!

• Heartbreaker
    Heartbreaker

Go! Do it! You will feel better, and it will be a chapter to close. Yah to your aunt! My mom and my sister did the same thing. They both married and had their first child by 16.....they went when my niece was 10, my sister 26 and my mom 42? Is that the math? Education is a good thing, no matter the level.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I went to Adult School when my first child was 8 weeks old to get my GED.

I had to sneak to do it as my ex-husband did not want me too. He was never a JW and I was not at the time, ten years later I did.

I had a semester left in HS and dropped out, was on the Honor Roll.

Had a messed up home life.

Kudos for all those that go back and do it.

purps

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Don't let your resentment get the best of you. If you don't need the GED, it's still a great personal accomplishment. I dropped out of H.S. in my senior year and got my GED 9 years later. While I never went to college, I needed a diploma just to get my current career.

For several years after I got my GED, it didn't matter careerwise, but it was a proud accomplishment.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit