UNCONDITIONAL LOVE? DID YOU EVER RECIEVE IT IN THE BORGORG? DO YOU HAVE IT IN YOUR LIFE NOW?

by freewilly01 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

I do not think unconditional love exists, nor do I believe it should. I suspect those who come closest to demonstrating unconditional love are spouses who stay with abusive partners. If it does exist, I view it more as an emotional disturbance and certainly, not something to be cultivated.

Personally, I do not expect someone to love me unconditionally, nor did I seek to find such love in the congregation.

• Twitch
    Twitch

I don't believe in unconditional anything; everything has limitations and expectations. No matter what anyone says.

• freewilly01
    freewilly01

Loved all of your replies everybody, a real eyeopener thanks!

• dig692
    dig692

Nope, didn't receive unconditional love in the borg...its conditional as long as you are being a good little JW and listening to the society's direction. Once you step out of line then the love is gone.

As for whether or not I have it now, I'm not sure. I see valid reasons for Yes and No. On the one hand, many posters have commented that if a spouse cheats or does something awful, you would no longer love that person, but on the other hand there may always be just the tiniest bit of love left within you for that person. Certainly you would also feel anger, hurt, grief, betrayal, and all those other emotions that come with that kind of a situation, but perhaps there might still be some love deep down inside, and that could be considered unconditional.

Then again, for the example of a father raping his daughter repeatedly throughout her entire life, I wonder if any love would have developed at all for that child towards her father, and therefore one could no longer argue that there might be some tiny bit of love in her heart for that man.

This is an interesting question(s) that was posted. I enjoyed everyone's comments thus far. Leaves a lot to think about.

• creativhoney
    creativhoney

I have found that conditional love is everywhere. the only unconditional love I see exists between my kids and me. - but one day that could change. - religion or not, people are always imposing conditions on their love, friends who have opinions, relatives. - everyone believes that others should behave a certain way, and judge others accordingly - we are all guilty of it. even when we all sit here and condemn our witness families for not loving us.

I dont agree with it, even in the slightest, but upon observation we all seem to do it..

• yesidid
    yesidid
    we are all guilty of it. even when we all sit here and condemn our witness families for not loving us.
    I dont agree with it, even in the slightest, but upon observation we all seem to do it..

Yes it's sad, but an indisputible fact of life is:

There is no such thing as unconditional love.

Not with Witnesses, not with Catholics, not with Baptists and................not with atheists.

y

• xeracia
    xeracia

As has been said. No such thing as unconditional love. But I really didn't receive much love at all from the borg, conditional or otherwise. Now? I have a handfull of close friends that I regard to be more like family to me. They've been in my life for years and I hope to always have them in my life. And there are a few in my family that I feel that nice family love from...but just a few. And of course it is conditioned upon the fact that we do stay in touch, we respect on another, and we care about each other. And that is how I think it should be.

• creativhoney
    creativhoney

seems to be the way.. when i was 'in' their love was 'unconditional' they would have done anything for me. - - but thats a contradiction isnt it.

I love my kids, but if they committed murder would I love them the same.. or if they became a heroin addict would i lend them money or would it be based on what i know they would spend it on.

we all have our own conditions. - I did have a lot of love from my family, we were very social and my mum and I were like friends we did a lot together, and I really miss that, I miss that she pleases my step father over us.. - I see that as a sign of weakness that she could never be on her own, he was the third marriage, and I'm glad I didnt just go out with the first person who would have me so I wouldnt be alone.. because I'm still here 18 months of single and Im not desperate now. - but yea it was all conditional on me staying in. - seriously though, i wonder if it doesnt tear her up? she joined because our eldest brother died, and it was the hope of being reunited.. but she drops her living kids along the way? insane!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit