Rubik's Cube: Have you solved it?

by White Dove 22 Replies latest social entertainment

• White Dove
    White Dove

My daughter and I just bought a couple of cubes because we just couldn't share the one. Now, we are trying to solve them. Little Egg is much closer than I am to finishing. Have you soved it before? How long did it take you?

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

I could never solve the cube. But, I did solve the pyramid. It took me about 3 hours.

• asilentone
    asilentone

I do not remember how long it took me to solve it, I remember solving it at least once. That was long time ago! I believe that was in the early 80's.

• villabolo
    villabolo

I've tried solving the cube but gave up. Then I got the pocket cube which has two, not three, squares to the side. I thought it would be simpler but I still couldn't figure it out. Knowing that I was hopeless I decided to buy, as a gag gift to myself, Rubik's Revenge which has four squares to the side!

However there were three other designs, one more mind boggling than the cube all of which I was able to solve.

The first one is a tetrahedron shape. Looks like a pyramid but a real pyramid is four triangle sides with a square "bottom". This shape is three triangles with another triangle for "bottom". The individual pieces within the puzzle are, of course, triangles. That one is actually simpler than the cube. I was able to figure it out and solve it within an hour the first time then with a small amount of practice I could solve it within 15 or so seconds!

Then I got a small an somewhat clumsy octahedron which is basically two regular pyramids joined together at their square "bottom" leaving you with eight triangular sides and of course, each individual piece is triangular. That one took a couple hours to figure out and several minutes to solve once I get used to solving it. It is more complicated than the three frequency Rubiks cube.

Last, but not least, there was this puzzle called Alexander's Star which was the most bizarre looking of them all. It also took a couple hours to solve and I never wanted to solve that twilight zone piece of insane triangles ever again.

Well, sorry I couldn't help you with the solution for the Rubiks but I just had to share those experiences with you. You may be able to find a website with information about solving it, I know my cousin did although I consider that cheating.

villabolo

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I worked out a system for solving it in about a week.

Hint 1: I used a pencil and paper.

Hint 2: Solve it in layers. Decide which is going to be your top layer and work out how to get that first. Then work out how to get the middle layer, then the bottom layer.

Have fun

Chris

• The Oracle
    The Oracle

Blacksheep is correct.

The other key point to keep in mind is that the middle cubes on each side never change position.

It is quite satisfying once you solve it! Good luck!

The Oracle

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

I took all the stickers off and replaced them in an orderly color-co-ordinated fashion.

Does that count?

• White Dove
    White Dove

Thanks! Egg and I are going to attempt it again. I love these kinds of puzzles and also the twisted metal nail and horse shoe puzzles. I want to get a bunch of those.

• White Dove
    White Dove

When I was 13, I solved it by taking the thing apart and putting it back together, again. I didn't remove the stickers, but that's an idea.

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

For the record, I'm good at twisted metal puzzles and crosswords and backgammon and every other kind of puzzle.

Rubiks was not for me........but I admire anyone who can figure it out.....

PS, if there is a math dyslexia, .....I HAVE IT.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit