On the watchtower.org site: Can a Pagan Holiday Be Made Christian?

by Elsewhere 30 Replies latest jw friends

• greenie
    greenie

Hey, I've got a question: at Witness weddings, is something standard said during the exchanging of the rings? I've never been to a kingdom hall wedding, just seen it done by a justice of the peace. I'm just wondering what they say about the rings?

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

> So this is like double double speak? Or triple speak? Because we have the first point that celebrating Christmas because it has pagan origins isn't allowed, followed by using a calendar of pagan origins IS allowed all because we're subject to superior authorities BUT (additional double speak) if someone tries to make you vote or join the army, you should go to jail and ignore those superior authories. Am I reading that wrong? Hmmmmmm...

Great point!

• Opus92
    Opus92

Hey, if an alcoholic can be made leader of the WTBTS, then I guess anything is possible.

• moomanchu
    moomanchu

Can a False Religion Be Made True ?

• Mary
  • Simon Morley
    Simon Morley

What about the origin of neckties - worn in battle by Croatian mercenaries in French service and so associated with war.

Simon Morley

• outofthebox
    outofthebox

What about science? That filthy science come from pagans and from the original sin (when they eat from the tree of knowledge). Let's ban science!

Even the name of the planets are from pagan origins. Even this galaxy name (The Milky Way) comes from a pagan origin, so I agree with them. They can go to another galaxy far far away, and let us here with our pagan stuff!

• Satanus
    Satanus

Human sacrifice is pagan, yet it's the hinge on which christianity turns.

S

• Mrs. Fiorini
    Mrs. Fiorini

Do you find it acceptable that a religious leader would give a seemingly Christian meaning to events and symbols whose roots go back to ancient paganism? As to the proper course, the Scriptures admonish true Christians: “What fellowship do righteousness and lawlessness have? Or what sharing does light have with darkness?”—2 Corinthians 6:14-17.

The WT may want to ask, "Do you find it acceptable that God would include in His holy bible hymns and poems whose roots go back to ancient paganism?"

According to the book "Psalms For All Seasons" by John F. Craghan, an associate professor of religious studies at St. Norbert College in Wisconsin, the first several verses of Psalm 19 "was originally a pagan hymn honoring the Semitic god El." And he says of Psalm 29, "Scholars generally agree that this Psalm was originally a pagan composition extolling the Canaanite god Baal, the weather god who through storms and rains brings fertility to the earth...In appropriating this hymn for her worship, Israel substituted the name of her god Yahweh (translated "the Lord") for that of Baal."

• greenie
    greenie

BTTT

Does anyone know about this? : "Hey, I've got a question: at Witness weddings, is something standard said during the exchanging of the rings? I've never been to a kingdom hall wedding, just seen it done by a justice of the peace. I'm just wondering what they say about the rings?"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit