What would happen to a JW woman if she did this?

by dgp 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Violia
    Violia

I knew a sister who did this. She cheated and was privately reproved . No one knew. Her husband moved to another close and they both remarried. Not one announcement was ever made. She even got a baby shower. He got to marry at the KH.

It really does mater how well connected you are.

• Violia
    Violia

Can't edit so I meant to say

moved to another close KH.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Lady Lee,

When you described how sisters whose husbands are no longer JWs or never were JWs have their social life (if you can call it that) dry up fast, you described the plight of single sisters in the religion. They are most certainly on the fringes of the religion and have next to no social life. As far as being a 'good service buddy' I noticed they tried to stick me with people nobody else wanted to work with such as a mentally handicapped person or Brother Oddball. It got to the point where I wanted to work alone.

This is partly why my attitude was so bad towards most of the married sisters in the hall except for a few kind souls. I observed it was the married sisters (in "good standing" and friends with the elders) as the ones to organize the shindigs and they are the ones who deliberately made sure that the single sisters are not invited - unless a certain single sister is a drudge who does favors and is acting as a chauffeur for other guests attending. They view single women as being there to do favors. Nothing more. This is why I had ZERO comradery or tolerance for certain married sisters and wouldn't even talk to them. Believe me, if I hadn't found out the religion's scandals in 2000 and started my 'fade', this in and of itself was a reason not to be part of this religion.

• Violia
    Violia

oops big slip- not baby shower-wedding shower. whew.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

if there is a child/pregnancy involved than all would take the wife's side

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

Depends on the cong and the power structure, but the wife will at least get a heaping helping of not showing appropriate subservience to the head of house.

• dgp
    dgp

Thanks to all for taking the time to post an answer. I very much appreciate this.

From what I can see, many things may have happened. From disfellowshipping the guy, and his moving to attend a different congregation, to "all right, have your scriptural divorce, but we know you were not a good wife". It is not possible to know for sure. But she might be feeling the pressure, yes.

I have another thought on this, on a broader sense. In a case like this, it would only be good if everyone in the congregation just minded their own business. Divorce shouldn't be the whole congregation's business. Staying unhappily married should never be the price to pay for "congregation love".

• Out at Last!
    Out at Last!

Staying unhappily married should never be the price to pay for "congregation love".

That is true, but many times that is what is expected, and what is done.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit