If they said this, at least they would be interesting

by Amber Rose 2 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Amber Rose
    Amber Rose

Hello, we are here to tell you that the world as you know it is about to be destroyed and very few survivors will be left. Would you like to be one of those survivor? You see, we are living in the last days. After Jesus died and was resurrected he went to heaven where he waited around until 1914 to be given the throne by his father, Jehovah. As the new ruling king, Jesus' first act was to throw Satan out of heaven and onto the earth. You can see ample evidence of this just by reading the newspapers since 1914. Each has more bad news than the last! After throwing Satan to the earth, something that Jesus apparently was not pleased with, he decided that he should choose some people to remain on the earth - because even though most of the people were bad, the planet itself was still good. So he took a look around at all the churches and he decided that he liked the Bible Students (as the Jehovah's Witnesses were known back in those days) the best. So you see, the only way to survive Jesus' war with Satan on the earth (or Armageddeon - the Great day of God Jehovah) is to join the Jehovah's Witnesses. Now, here, take these magazines and I'll be back in two weeks with more.

Instead of this -

Hello. Do you think we will ever see a world without war? The Bible says we will. (read one sentence out of the Bible). Now, here, take these magazines and I'll be back in two weeks with more.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

heh...it sounds silly now, but in my last couple of years as a Witness, I was mulling over how to say exactly that to householders w/o getting laughed off their porches.

The ridiculousness of people being judged "sheep" or "goats" based on a magazine presentation was too much to bear anymore. I reasoned that if we had the-golden-ticked: everlasting life, we should tell people exactly why we had that golden ticket - what makes us different and special. I guess somewhere in my psyche, my subconcious was in effect telling me, "'cause we sure aren't a very healthy religion to live by for any other reason!".

And this all gets back to why I was soooooo very uncomfortable with field service my entire life: If I couldn't convince someone that Christ came invisibly in 1914, including all the 607 "logic", then what was the point? And I knew damn sure that I didn't know how to convince a reasonable person of that "fact" (even though I'd somehow convinced myself it was indeed a fact).

• Amber Rose
    Amber Rose

but in my last couple of years as a Witness, I was mulling over how to say exactly that to householders w/o getting laughed off their porches.

Me too! I got so tired of the same routine - everyone take a not a home or two, do a call on the far edge of territory, coffee break, three more calls and back to the hall. Hey! Aren't we supposed to be saving people's lives here? Jehovah is sooo going to kill us for not taking the job seriously. That's what happens when you try to make sence out of nonsence - you realize that its nonsence and walk away.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit