lurking in JW land, i saw this...re bible studies at home

by Aussie Oz 5 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

Came accross this the other day. It was on some JW forum i was lurking on. The witness gushed 'just like the F&DS' to be one step in front! Refering to the tuesday night book study being moved to be part of the Thursday meeting. They felt that the F&DS must have known this would happen and moved to counteract it.

The article does not state the religious persuasion involved.

Made me wonder, how did they sell this change to the Rank and file? I dont know how long ago the change was made, but I would be pretty sure it was motivated by poor attendance more than being afraid of future legal challenges, i mean, since when has the watchtower backed away from that! Unless of course they dont have the money.

Oz

Here is the article they posted:

FAITH UNDER FIRE
    Home: No place for Bible study
    County demands pastor spend thousands on 'Major Use' permit to host friends

Posted: May 22, 2009
    5:13 pm Eastern

By Drew Zahn
    © 2009 WorldNetDaily

A San Diego pastor and his wife claim they were interrogated by a county official and warned they will face escalating fines if they continue to hold Bible studies in their home.

The couple, whose names are being withheld until a demand letter can be filed on their behalf, told their attorney a county government employee knocked on their door on Good Friday, asking a litany of questions about their Tuesday night Bible studies, which are attended by approximately 15 people.

"Do you have a regular weekly meeting in your home? Do you sing? Do you say 'amen'?" the official reportedly asked. "Do you say, 'Praise the Lord'?"

The pastor's wife answered yes.

She says she was then told, however, that she must stop holding "religious assemblies" until she and her husband obtain a Major Use Permit from the county, a permit that often involves traffic and environmental studies, compliance with parking and sidewalk regulations and costs that top tens of thousands of dollars.

And if they fail to pay for the MUP, the county official reportedly warned, the couple will be charged escalating fines beginning at $100, then $200, $500, $1000, "and then it will get ugly."

Remind the world who's really in charge with the "Worship GOD, not GOV" magnetic bumper sticker from WND.

Dean Broyles of the Western Center for Law & Policy, which has been retained to represent the couple, told WND the county's action not only violates religious land-use laws but also assaults both the First Amendment's freedom of assembly and freedom of religion.

"The First Amendment, in part, reads, 'Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,'" Broyles said. "And that's the key part: 'prohibiting the free exercise.' We believe this is a substantial government burden on the free exercise of religion."

He continued, "If one's home is one's castle, certainly you would the think the free exercise of religion, of all places, could occur in the home."

(Story continues below)

Broyles confirmed the county official followed through on his threat. The pastor and his wife received a written warning ordering the couple to "cease/stop religious assembly on parcel or obtain a major use permit."

"The Western Center for Law and Policy is troubled by this draconian mov

• ziddina
    ziddina

Hmmm. I think this story is - not exactly current... Ah, yes, I see... May 2009. I agree with you, Aussie Oz - how typical of the WTBTS to use legit-sounding excuses to cover up their embarrassing lack of funds... Not to tootle my own horn too much, but I posted two "YouTube" videos on the "I'm bored..." thread, that discuss the "Withering Watchtower". Very technical, but if their figures are accurate, also very encouraging as an indication of the ennui and atrophy of the WTBTS...

Zid

jk

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Perhaps they should have checked out the later news stories that appear on Google News -

San Diego withdraws Bible study warning
    'The weekly activity is within the scope of the residential use'

http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=100071

BTW Aussie - the change was presented to the dubs to enable them time for Home Study, and to save the cost of petrol [ yes really!]

The ones that I know never liked the change. They cannot understand what the real reason was

• cantleave
    cantleave

Nice follow-up there Blues!

Anywat, whatever happened to obeying god as ruler rather than men?

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

great link blues brother... another storm in a tea cup. whew!

Oz

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

The San Diego story eventually sorted itself out. More stupid dub speculation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit