Thanksgiving...feelin' a little annoyed...for now...

by AwSnap 28 Replies latest jw friends

• AwSnap
    AwSnap

Why are there so many 'Debbie Downers' in this world? You'd be *shocked* as to how many jw's are saying on Facebook about "why do people choose one day a year to show thanks? You should really show thanks everyday"

UGH!!! As my status update for today, I put: The Holiday "Thanksgiving" is meant for everyone to unite with all they are thankful for, and to be with family, friends, and rockin' food. ;-) Do people REALLY think "love and thanks" isn't shown the rest of the year? puhLeaze...if you don't want to celebrate it, then don't. But please don't judge others who do...*Ro mans 14:5,6 & Colossians 2:16* I am SO THANKFUL for everyone who knows what unconditional love is

Nobody realizes I'm an apostate....hence why I have so many jw's on my facebook. As far as everybody's concerned, I've been inactive for a really long time. I never rock the boat. But ya know what.... I'm getting really sick of it. Hmph.

Ok, rant over. I'm going to put the finishing touches on some white chocolate chip cookies, spinich dip, and tofurky

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!

• dissed
    dissed

The JW's don't really have a reason not to celebrate Thanksgiving, so their answer is to belittle those who do.

Another way to seperate the JW's from family? Another form of control so the JW's can't see that non-JW's are decent and happy not doing the JW thing?

Their loss and our gain to those who get together with family and friends for good and cherished times.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Happy thanksgiving!

But ya know what.... I'm getting really sick of it.

That vomit doesn't taste too good

You can choke on it too.

The smell of it lingers for a long time, it is so pervasive.

Anyhow, carry on with your non NWT reading, it will clean that WT vomit in no time :)

Ephesians 5:26 (English Standard Version)

26 that he might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word

Blessings,

Stephen

• AwSnap
    AwSnap

Thanks

• teel
    teel

By the way, could anyone tell me what is the reason of not celebrating Thanksgiving? We don't have that holiday in our country, so the WT literature never covered it. From my vague knowledge I have a feeling it is not something that can be considered having pagan origins. Or am I mistaking?

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    "why do people choose one day a year to show thanks? You should really show thanks everyday"

But they don't show thanks every day. All they do is mumble their pathetic little prefabricated prayer before their meals, "Thanks Jehover for this food, blah blah blah, and thanks for this stupid little cult you put us in, and thanks for all the spiritual shit and especially the elders in jebus name amen".

I'm sure God is thrilled with their display of "thanks".

There's no scriptural reason for JWs to boycott Thanksgiving. The society just uses it as another mechanism to isolate JWs from the rest of humanity.

Happy Thanksgiving!

W

edited to add: I've never heard a JW complain about getting a holiday off work with full pay. If they had any "integrity" at all they'd refuse to accept payment for a "pagan" holiday.

• AwSnap
    AwSnap

T he Pilgrims left Plymouth, England, on September 6, 1620. Their destination? The New World. Although filled with uncertainty and peril, it offered both civil and religious liberty.

For over two months, the 102 passengers braved the harsh elements of a vast storm-tossed sea. Finally, with firm purpose and a reliance on Divine Providence, the cry of "Land!" was heard.

Arriving in Massachusetts in late November, the Pilgrims sought a suitable landing place. On December 11, just before disembarking at Plymouth Rock, they signed the "Mayflower Compact" - America's first document of civil government and the first to introduce self-government.

After a prayer service, the Pilgrims began building hasty shelters. However, unprepared for the starvation and sickness of a harsh New England winter, nearly half died before spring. Yet, persevering in prayer, and assisted by helpful Indians, they reaped a bountiful harvest the following summer.

The grateful Pilgrims then declared a three-day feast, starting on December 13, 1621, to thank God and to celebrate with their Indian friends. While this was not the first Thanksgiving in America (thanksgiving services were held in Virginia as early as 1607), it was America's first Thanksgiving Festival.

• iceguy
    iceguy

Jw's assume that "worldly" people are only thankful on Thanksgiving, they are completely wrong on that. There is nothing wrong with Thanksgiving and that is why many Jw's do celebrate it even though they have their excuses for having turkey that day. Of course some may have it on friday but they still mimic what is done on Thanksgiving day.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    By the way, could anyone tell me what is the reason of not celebrating Thanksgiving? We don't have that holiday in our country, so the WT literature never covered it. From my vague knowledge I have a feeling it is not something that can be considered having pagan origins. Or am I mistaking?

Witnesses don't celebrate Thanksgiving because the Indians celebrated by smoking (which is also why it was ok for the Pilgrims to slaughter their new friends)

• Mary
    Mary
    "why do people choose one day a year to show thanks? You should really show thanks everyday"

I had one Witness woman say the same thing to me so I responded "I guess you can apply the same logic to your wedding anniversary too eh?" She said nothing.

Thanksgiving is an irritant to the WTS because it's the one holiday where they can't pin "pagan origins" on it. In point of fact, the WT has on several occasions, spoken favourably about how the Puritans in the New World banned Christmas. While they don't officially forbid it, they come up with lame-assed reasoning (like they do on most things) and say "shouldn't we be keeping separate from this world" and "we should be thanking Jehovah every day" as reasons not to celebrate it.

The bottom line is: Jehovah's Witnesses are trained from birth to be downers and pessimistic about anything good that goes on in life, no matter how trivial.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit