When did Jehovah's Witnesses begin to consider their religion the one true religion?

by garyneal 31 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• bennyk
    bennyk

DOCTRINES MORE OR LESS IMPORTANT

THERE are certain features of the doctrine of Christ which are fundamental and indispensable, and without which none would be recognized of the Lord as one of His followers. There are other features which would seem to be useful, helpful, blessed, but not fundamental--not essential to membership in the Body of Christ. The fundamentals have been enjoyed by good, saintly ones from the Day of Pentecost until now.

We, the same class now, have the same fundamentals, and are permitted to have other privileges, truths, "meat in due season," for our strengthening. These latter are not necessarily essential to our membership in the Body of Christ; otherwise our forefathers who did not have them would not have been members of Christ, and there would have been no Christ Body for centuries.

The fundamental theory of the Atonement is as follows:

(1) All men--all of Adam's children--are sinners.

(2) None can be reconciled to God without a Redeemer's sacrifice.

(3) Jesus came into the world to be that Sacrifice-- and later to apply that Ransom-price for the sins of the world.

(4) On the basis of faith in the Redeemer's work, the believer may consecrate himself to the Divine service, in acceptance of the Divine invitation, "Present your bodies a living sacrifice."

(5) So doing, the believer may--up to the time of the completion of the Elect number--exercise full assurance of faith that his sacrifice will be accepted of the Father; and that he will receive a share of the anointing of the Holy Spirit--the begetting.

(6) Such as meet these conditions are to be accepted as brethren in the highest sense of the term. This much would seem to have been always necessary, and more than this we believe is not necessary today. But if by reason of our favorable day we have more knowledge, we may also have corresponding trials, which our greater knowledge will offset.

Our advice to the Lord's dear people everywhere is that they put no yoke upon each other, beyond the fundamentals specified above--that otherwise they stand free, and leave each other free, and fellowship and agree as much as they can with each other.

Watch Tower, August 1913 (Reprints page 5284)

But no earthly organization can grant a passport to heavenly glory. The most bigoted sectarian (aside from the Romanist) will not claim, even, that membership in his sect will secure heavenly glory. All are forced to admit that the true Church is the one whose record is kept in heaven, and not on earth. They deceive the people by claiming that it is needful to come to Christ through them--needful to become members of some sectarian body in order to become members of "the body of Christ," the true Church. On the contrary, the Lord, while he has not refused any who came to him through sectarianism, and has turned no true seeker away empty, tells us that we need no such hindrances, but could much better have come to him direct. He cries, "Come unto me"; "take my yoke upon you, and learn of me"; "my yoke is easy and my burden is light, and ye shall find rest to your souls." Would that we had given heed to his voice sooner. We would have avoided many of the heavy burdens of sectism, many of its bogs of despair, many of its doubting castles, its vanity fairs, its lions of worldly-mindedness, etc.

Thy Kingdom Come, p. 186,187

• garyneal
    garyneal

MadJW

Post 11

I wonder if you even see the irony of your picture in this post. Especially the part that says, "...you have ME to interpret the Bible for you!"

How is the WTS any different in this regard? You might want to consider some of my own quotes of WT literature where it seems to place more importances in Bible publications over the Bible.

After doing extensive research in the Bible and the WTS, I have found how surprising little my wife knows about their teachings. She did not even know that the WT was teaching that Jesus was Michael the Archangel, yet I knew that one for the past few years (long before I really began looking for the answers myself).

Just yesterday, I pointed out how Jesus forgave a woman for committing adultery as the Jews were about to stone her. Can you believe that she did not know perhaps one of the more popular phrases in the Bible where Jesus said, "He who is without sin, let him now cast the first stone." My step-dad was a primitive baptist who was kicked out of church for marrying my divorcee mom because she did not get a 'scriptural divorce.' My mom is technically and 'adulterer' and by marrying her so was my step-dad. Yet, a woman who was caught in the very act of adultery was forgiven by Christ. My wife, never made this connection and little wonder since obviously the WTS never teaches it.

Again, what irony on the part of your picture that says, "...you have ME to interpret the Bible for you!"

• TD
    TD
    Again, what irony on the part of your picture that says, "...you have ME to interpret the Bible for you!"

You're being kind, Gary.

"All who want to understand the Bible should appreciate that the “greatly diversified wisdom of God” can become known only through Jehovah’s channel of communication, the faithful and discreet slave. (The Watchtower October 1 1994 p. 8)

"Unless we are in touch with this channel of communication that God is using, we will not progress along the road to life, no matter how much Bible reading we do" (The Watchtower December 1, 1981 p. 27)

"Thus the Bible is an organizational book and belongs to the Christian congregation as an organization, not to individuals, regardless of how sincerely they may believe that they can interpret the Bible. For this reason the Bible cannot be properly understood without Jehovah's visible organization in mind." (The Watchtower October 1 1967 p. 587)

"The facts show that during this time and up to the present hour the "slave" class has served as God's sole collective channel for the flow of Biblical truth to men on earth." (The Watchtower July 15, 1960 p. 439)

• RR
    RR

Actually the Jehovah's Witnesses became the one true religion, the year that the Watchtower Society became God's visible organization. Organized to gather as many into the "ark:.

May 23

Whither the tribes go up .... to give thanks unto the name of the Lord.--Psalm 122:4.

Three times each year the tribes of Israel went up to Jerusalem. Their going was not so much to make requests of Jehovah but to proclaim his praises and recount his goodness to them. God has now set Zion as the place where he will accept praise from his faithful ones, and in no other place does he accept praise and service. God?s organization on earth is a part of Zion, which is made up of that faithful company of anointed ones who joyfully obey his commandments to do his will. As surely as God made Jerusalem the place or center of worship, just so surely now he has made his visible organization on earth the place where he accepts the praise and service of his people, his anointed ones associate themselves together in what we call the Society to do the work of Jehovah as he has commanded and thereby proclaim the honor of his name. - 1928 IBSA YEARBOOK

• kurtbethel
  • SirNose586
    SirNose586

Kurt, your pic is so funny! I love it!

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

I was inspired by the MadJW.

• babel on
    babel on

madJW I noticed that you pointed to the use of the name Jehovah and Yahweh and also asked who else is involved in the preaching of"The good news of the Kingdom" worldwide as proof that the Watchtower is the true Religion! Well to start with the "Good News of the Kingdom" as preached in Jesus day was this.... "behold the kingdom is at hand". This clearly was not some futuristic event but was proclaimed by Jesus many times to be near! How so? Jesus many times reffered to the Kingdom as being the "Kingdom of Heaven" which according to Jesus was no Part of this world! Wouldn't it be safe to say that the good news as JW's preach it is the Kingdom of the earth? This is in no way a continuance of the message that Jesus spoke of... it is a "new" gospel which paul said should not be received! I challenge you to show me the scriptures that show that Jesus will return this Earth to a Paradise for believers! Jesus asked Lazurus sister this"he who believes in me will never die at all,do you believe this"! Well, did she die? That would depend alot on your belief in a heavenly resurection or an earthly one. My heavenly resurection belief does not contradict Jesus' teachings at all in that although the flesh perished her spirit was recieved by Jesus into his Kingdom! I encourage you to read Corinthians as if it applies to you and not just some elite group in brookland NY. Read what Stephens' hope was as he was being stoned by the self rightouse Jews of the day in Acts!I promise you will understand what I'm speaking of about the ressurection! And then please read Hebrews the 11th chapter to learn the hope of Abraham, Issac, Sarah and other faithful ones of old! The watchtower would have you labor from door to door teaching that these ones will be resurected to paradise earth but this is not in harmony with the scriptures! Jesus said "woe to you scribes and pharasies, you shut up the kingdom of heavens before men, you do not let others enter nor do you yourselves go in".

As far as the use of the name Jehovah the new Watchtower admits that the name does not exist in ANY of the original greek manuscripts! The reason is Simple! That there is no other name by which you must be saved in heaven or on earth other than that of Jesus Christ! In honor and worship of that name we bring honor to the father, through the son! Paul speaks of being persecuted for the name of Christ Jesus by the jews whom your organization claims used the name Jehovah! If it were proper to do then wasn't Paul rightfully persecuted for preaching and honoring Jesus instead of using the name of the father as you portray it to have been used? Doesn't the Watchtower persecute Christianity today through there literature and door to door ministry for the same reason? I often think of how simular the JW's are to the Jews of Pauls day and they are never spoken of very highly by Jesus, his Apostles, or the Holy Spirit! I do not judge you but you must judge for yourself what He thinks of an organization that claims that he has returned and has taken upon itself the right to stop preaching the Kingdom as he preached it! I myself will continue to preach the kingdom of the heavens As Christ preached it until he tells me to stop with his own mouth and no man or organization can shut it!

• theMadJW
    theMadJW

Hey, Babel- I lost track of this topic- sorry!

1- He was the KING of the Kingdom- so of COURSE he was at hand! He later gave the prophecies about the Last days.

2- The Good News about the Kingdom is NOT just about the Earth! Those of us not sealed to rule just have a natural interest in the Earth's future!

3- Jesus was telling Lazarus' sister about the Future- when DEATH will be ended- 1 Cor 15:26. Lazarus died, was resurrected- then later died AGAIN! His sister died. Jesus died- REALLY! heh The time will come when the dead (yes- they are REALLY dead) will be resurrected and judged!

4-Paul wasn't persecuted for using ANY name- but for exposing false religions- including Judiasm!

5-We don't persecute CHURCHianity- just condemn and expose its foul lies about God and Christ.

6-Jesus is either 'parousia' or he isn't; if these are NOT the Last Days, then once again, we have misunderstood the prophecies- along with all the churches!

What is the "good news" YOU preach? That believers can go to heaven?

• garyneal
    garyneal

reasurected my old thread I see...

Yeah, this got started when my wife was questioning the origins of her religion. Too bad she did not dig any deeper than the proclaimers book.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit