When did Jehovah's Witnesses begin to consider their religion the one true religion?

by garyneal 31 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• garyneal
    garyneal

Yesterday, my wife and I was going for a walk in the neighborhood. She was carrying my niece and commenting on how heavy she is. I told her that apparently her sister has to carry her child, diaper bag, and her things to the bus stop every morning. My wife was like, yeah, I can see how she lost a lot of weight. Then I said, "Well at church, I have to carry our daughter, my bible, and whatever bagles and drink we pick up into the sanctuary." She was surprised and asked me if they really allowed us to take food in the sanctuary. I told her yes, and described the sanctuary as being like a big room with chairs instead of pews. I even told her how we do not take up a collection for the offering. "So how do they get collect their offerings?" she asked. There are two boxes standing in front of the stage and two more outside in the common area. People place money there if they wish to give.

She then asked me (of all people) this question.

"I understand the Jehovah's Witnesses originally got their start from the Seventh Day Adventist, but when did they know that they were the only true religion?"

I figured I'd be kind this time and just give her a only a piece of WT history. My response, "According to WT history in 1914, coinciding with World War I, Jesus began his rule in heaven. He surveyed all of the world's religions and around 1918 or 1919, He chose the WTS as His faithful and discreet slave."

She asked me if I knew what the source of that is and I said that it was probably in some WT publication and that I would find out.

She then asked, "But how did they know that Jesus selected them?" To that I could offer no answer. I just simply said, "You're asking the wrong guy. Did God transmit this special message to someone who heard it? What do you think?"

She then said, "Well, I'm sure I will hear the answer at the meeting today."

She later asked me to go with her and I went this time. Sure enough, during the talk, the year 1919 was brought up. I immediately looked at her and said, "See there, the pivotal year."

Of course, I spared her the details of 1914 (though we talked about it before). I don't think she's ready for that again. But I would be interested in knowing exactly what WT publication did the whole concept of 1914 and 1919 first get preached. Anyone?

• glenster
    glenster

The claim of being the spokeman for a literal 144,000, with accompanying
    propaganda against those who disagree, started in the 1870's with Russell. See
    information about that, and the claims you brought up, on the timeline on p.1a
    at the next link.
    http://glenster1.webs.com/gtjbrooklyn1a.htm

• civicsi00
    civicsi00

Now that 1919 has been brought into the conversation, you need to show her the 1919 WT scans where they taught that Russell was the FDS.This is critical because it wasn't until 1927 that they were teaching that the anointed were the FDS.

Once you can undermine their authority straight from their own publications, the rest of the tower comes crashing down..

• TD
    TD

I think it was the introduction of the doctrine of the Great Crowd in 1935 that made the JW's exclusivistic more than anything else. Prior to that, they allowed that many members of "Nominal Christendom" would survive Armageddon.

After 1935, you were either one of the 144,000 or you were a member of the "Great company" If you weren't one of those two things, then you were bird food. There was no other option or third group.

• blondie
    blondie

In this sense from the beginning, Bible Students, (Russell) believed that people had to separate from their religious groups and join with them if they were anointed Christians. I would say that indicates from the beginning they considered themselves the one true religion.

1919 was considered the date when they received a new and special mission.

• bennyk
    bennyk

Well, not exactly from the beginning...

QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS.

Ques. Please let me know by what name you people call yourselves? What denomination?

Ans. We are strictly unsectarian, and consequently recognize no sectarian name, believing with Paul, (read 1 Cor. 3:1-4) that where one saith I am of Paul, and I of Apollos, or I am a Baptist, or I a Methodist, etc., it is an evidence of carnality, and consequently in opposition to the Spirit of Christ. Did Paul or Apollos die for us? If so, let us call ourselves theirs. Were we baptized into the Methodist, Presbyterian, Baptist, or other denominational churches? If so, we are members of it, and should be properly recognized by those names. But if we were baptized into the one body or church of which Jesus is the one and only Head, then we are members in particular of his body, and the only name appropriate would be his; Scripturally called the "Church of Christ," "Christians," "Church of the first born," and such like general names. Again we would remark that ours is the only Scriptural basis of Christian union, viz.: We have no creed (fence) to bind us together or to keep others out of our company. The Bible is our only standard, and its teachings our only creed, and recognizing the progressive character of the unfolding of Scriptural truths, we are ready and prepared to add to or modify our creed (faith--belief) as we get increase of light from our Standard.

We are in fellowship with all Christians in whom we can recognize the Spirit of Christ, and especially with those who recognize the Bible as the only standard. We do not require, therefore, that all shall see, just as we do in order to be called Christians; realizing that growth in both grace and knowledge is a gradual process. Nor do we see reason to expect that any but the watchmen of Zion will "see eye to eye" (Isa. 52:8) until that which is perfect is come, when that which is in part shall be done away. (1 Cor. 13:10.)

If all Christians were to thus free themselves of prescribed creeds, and study the Word of God without denominational bias, truth and knowledge and real Christian fellowship and unity, would result. The Spirit of the Head would pervade the unfettered members of the body, and sectarian pride would vanish. Thus we believe, thus we practice, and thus we teach. It becomes our duty to denounce sectarianism and the God-dishonoring creeds of men which, while contradicting each other, unite in misrepresenting God's Word and character. Because these are bonds which hinder God's children from rendering him the homage due unto his name, hinder their knowing him, hinder their worshiping in spirit and in truth, and also hinder them from enjoying that joy and peace which their Father designed they should have. We "cry aloud and spare not."

Zion's Watch Tower, April 1882 (Reprints page 344)

• dgp
    dgp

Gary, I commend you on what you're doing. Just be careful you don't move too fast with your wife. It's best if you move slowly, but surely.

Three cheers for you!

• garyneal
    garyneal

bennyk:

Excellent post, I loved that quote from the old Zion's Watch Tower and goes to show just how different the witnesses are today from how they were back then. Granted, the Bible Students under Russell believed in some pretty bizzare things, still the fact that Russell taught things like this and how he also taught that an organization is not a good thing is spot on in my opinion. It is a shame though that the JW religion is looking to put people in a box now. I know this from personal experience because my wife was asking me in front of the elder, "So what religion exactly are you? Baptist?" I told her, like I tell others, "I am a Christian first and I believe the Bible first." For the benefit of those who must put my faith in a box then one can say that I tend to favor Protestant teachings in general with an emphasis on Baptists. But I've been to pentacostal churches also and feel that they are just as valid. The only issues I took with some forms of pentacostals are the out of order tongue speaking and prophesing that they like to do, as well as the whole being 'slain in the spirit' thing. The church I have been attending regularly is based on southern baptist with a mixture of some of the pentacostal teachings. It actually has 7 different churches meeting on the campus.

dgp:

I think at first, I did the whole information overload on her. Obviously a bad move. But I explained to her just as I did the elder, "First you say your religion is the only true religion. Then I see things that don't quite jive with the Bible. Can you not see my dilemma? Perhaps you can help explain some of these things to me." They seem cordial about, well the elder does. But I get the feeling that I may already be marked. Good thing I did not join the religion before discovering all of this.

• garyneal
    garyneal

blondie:

Where is your WT comments post for this past Sunday? Are you doing well?

Nevermind, found it.

• The Almighty Homer
    The Almighty Homer

A simple answer to this would be C T Russell's self positioning and self marketing strategy that he was receiving spiritual light from god himself

and that he was offering this informative light to the rest of the world by use of his written publishings.

What the world really got was Russell's sales and marketing acumen. A self created modern prophet with a hidden agenda.

Analyzing the facts of how much of his own money and his fathers money was put into the WTS. its obvious he wasn't going to lose

it all to be sure, remember how hard he tried to keep his money away from his ex-wife is just a part of the story as well.

This supposedly important spiritual light continues on to this day by the pretentiously powerful leaders

of the WTS. .........unfortunately

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit