King David's Saga Continues

by KingDavidwasframed 4 Replies latest social family

• KingDavidwasframed
    KingDavidwasframed

For the record, my real name is not David. I just have been fascinated on how close my journey has matched his (critisized by my wife, elders trying to assasinate me spiritually, horny as anything) and have always respected the way King David handled himself and was still loved by Jehovah despite imperfection.

Now I find that my son whom I have raised since 2 (now 15) is either disrespecting me or purposely listening to the lies about me from his mother and those in the congregation and hurting me either directly and indirectly. And now find myself trying to figure out how to handle the situation.

His mother tells him that I am not his "real father" (despite adopting him, giving him my name and raising him for 11+ years) and that he has to honor Jehovah by going out in service Saturdays and meetings on Sundays instead of visitation with me (with his sisters, my blood) as "Jehovah's service is more important than association with an unbeliever". He associates with ones in the hall that spread untruths about me (they get back to me - amazing how an organization that refers to itself as the truth, sure spreads a lot of untruths about those no longer associated) and puts up with his mothers abuse (she was hard on him when I was there - I believe her to be a man hater as I was her 2nd husband and she always hated any council for women - and my daughters tell me stories of how she treats him now) and he never seeks me out to associate with me if I do not ask to speak with him. This weekend was the first he came in 8 months, and the second time in over a year. He had his mother drop him off at 11 PM Friday (I pick up the girls at 4), went out in service Saturday till 1:30, then took off with buddies at 4 informing me he wanted to spend the night with them so he could go to the meeting Sunday and would be back around 2. He showed up at 5:30 and said he had a ride home.

So here is my dilema, am I just getting token fathership? If I accept this behaviour, will his sisters feel that blowing their father off is acceptable because I never got mad at their brother? Should I DF him in a sense to let his sisters know I won't tolerate disrespect (even though I disagree with "DF", but perhaps more or less cut him off)? Do I give him the prodigal son routine and tell him to take off and not bother playing with my heart until he is ready to come back or do I just let him treat me like a crazy uncle he only sees once in awhile? Any thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated and taken into consideration, but I have to say that Absolom's (not his real name) treatment of me hurts. And I am not used to being treated this way (except by his mother whom I left). My family (except for my one sister) do not see him and desire to. My mother (still in) loves him like her other grandchildren, but he never attempts to contact her either, nor does my ex encourage it.

Any ideas?

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

For the record, my real name is not David.

Okay, not David, I have no training and zero qualifications... but I have served as an elder for many years, so take this reply for whatever it is or isn't worth...

So here is my dilema, am I just getting token fathership?

Yes, of course. But before you get deep into complaints or blames, remember that he's 15 now. Along with all the nuttiness in his life, he's now at the age of hormones and desire for freedom. Don't buy into the JW idea of a "perfect" father-son relationship. Even if you only have "token fathership" now, it could be good enough to have the door open to a better relationship when he's married and dealing with a teenage son of his own.

If I accept this behaviour, will his sisters feel that blowing their father off is acceptable because I never got mad at their brother?

They each will be different. As a "token father" leave the "getting mad" crap to their mother.

Should I DF him in a sense to let his sisters know I won't tolerate disrespect (even though I disagree with "DF", but perhaps more or less cut him off)?

NO!!! NEVER!!!

Don't sever the lines of communication unless you're really looking forward to the day in the distant future when you're near to death and he walks into your nursing home room and tells you how much he hates you for treating him like crap.

Do I give him the prodigal son routine and tell him to take off and not bother playing with my heart until he is ready to come back or do I just let him treat me like a crazy uncle he only sees once in awhile?

NO!!! & NO!!!

Any thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated and taken into consideration, but I have to say that Absolom's (not his real name) treatment of me hurts. And I am not used to being treated this way (except by his mother whom I left). My family (except for my one sister) do not see him and desire to. My mother (still in) loves him like her other grandchildren, but he never attempts to contact her either, nor does my ex encourage it.

Okay, let's come up with some other options here... like...

HOW THE HELL WOULD YOU WANT TO BE TREATED???

He's a kid in a crazy situation whose mother is crazy. He has to spend time with his step-father and little sisters, but still has to try to make his crazy mother happy by not spending time with his step-father. Of course, he can't take any frustration out on his mother because, well, she's crazy and will make his life a living hell the rest of the week. So, he takes out his frustrations on his step-father, since he's not his "real father", is usually angry anyway, and can avoid the whole situation by trying to spend time with his friends instead. So, what do you do?

You are now the "cool dad"!

Stop stressing over tying him down to be with you and his sisters on the weekend. Just make the time that you have with him pleasant for all concerned. So he's only there for an hour? Have grandma come over and say "hi". Let him know that you love him, care about him, and want him to be happy. So, he says he is going over to his friends, "okay, well if they want to come over here later just give us a call and we can slide an extra pizza in the oven". Find out what he enjoys. He's almost 16, what about a car so that he can come and go and come back. A part-time job that he might enjoy?

And "keep your eyes on the prize"... namely 18. When he will be free to leave the house of his crazy mother and live on his own, go to college, or live with you. Build as many bridges now, as early as you can. Even if it breaks your heart to see him leave to be with his friends, smile and wave at the door so that he knows the way back home. Then enjoy the time with your daughters. You can let them know that it makes you sad to see him go, but he's growing up and you love them all.

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

this is coming from someone is was adopted...do NOT give up on him. You are still his dad!

• KingDavidwasframed
    KingDavidwasframed

Thanks to both of you! It helps keep me grounded and makes sense. I hate dealing with this.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

I hate dealing with this.

My situation is different than yours, but I hate dealing with mine, too. I think of it like eating lobster or crab.

lobster

So much work and mess to get a rather small amount of meat. Yet, it tastes so good and even better when you have to cope with the work of a hard shell. In the end it's worth it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit