Witness funeral used to spread "Watchtower Propaganda".....worldly family left OUT!

by Witness 007 13 Replies latest jw experiences

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Now that my "eyes are open" I was amazed as I sat at a Brothers funeral {he died due to Lukemia/not taking blood} the Elder mentioned his "spiritual" acomplishments for 20 minutes, his worldly acomplishments like creating a home buisness from scratch and employing his whole family was mentioned in one sentence. AND WORST...his worldly family was barely mentioned...he did not mention he was the son of so and so {worldly folks} this was commented on afterwards by worldly friends!??? Too much time was spent talking about Paradise and the hopes he had etc etc...same old bible verses that were done to death.....blah blah......we may as well have been at a Communist party meeting! Very IMPERSONAL!!!!!!!!

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Yup.... JW funerals are Watchtower Infomercials.

• DocBob
    DocBob

JW funerals are done from an outline supplied by the organization. There's a copy on my site at http://www.docbob.org/wordpress/?p=70

• HappyGuy
    HappyGuy

My father was a career Marine Corps officer. He was opposed to the WTBTS but was always gracious to the JWs who visited our home for my mother's sake. In his later years he kind of mellowed out and let them read their scriptures to him while nodding and saying "that's nice". For this gruff old Marine to do that said something about how much he cared for my mother. The "brothers" always took this to mean that my father was a prospect for conversion. Idiots.

When my father died we were all totally devestated. Not just the children, nephews, nieces, cousins, friends, grandchildren. Very few of us are Witnesses, several of us are opposed, one of us (me) is vehemenently opposed.

ONe of the brothers who thought he knew my father well (he didn't) inserted himself into the funeral arrangements. I begged my mother not to let this jackass give the funeral sermon. The people at the funeral home were very very nice and their pastor was a very humble, kind hearted man who always gave talks at the open casket that comforted the grieving.

I live out of town from my parents so I did not know that the Witnesses were going to give the talk until I got to the funeral home that day. I got several of my cousins together and confronted the "elder" and sad "Considering that my father was very opposed to your cult and that most of the peple here are very opposed to your cult I think it is in extremely bad taste that you have inserted yourself into our grief. I for one do not want to hear any of your propaganda. Everyone I have talked to feels the same way." The "elder" refused to acquiesce of course.

Later the pastor was comforting me because I asked him to because my heart was breaking in a way that I just could not deal with. The "elder" tried to but in to the conversation. I just looked at him with tears running down my face and said "Please, sir do you have no sense of decency at all? You know I detest your cult, let me to my grief." The pastor took me into a very tasteful room which had his religious symbols. I think the man was a Baptist, I'm not sure. anyway, he told me to cry and he held me. He didn't say much.

I was sitting in the front row and I was crying so hard. And this goddam elder gives a propaganda speech about his cult and their "promises". I was so upset.

At the gravesite I told the "elder", "IF you say ANYTHING here they will be burying two people today". I gave a eulogy for my dad and told everyone that while he was a hard man and my childhood was very difficult, my dad made me the person I am today and for that I was very thankful and my father was a wonderful man.

My cousins stopped at an army surplus store and bought a large American flag and some Marine corps emblems and one of my cousins played the Marine Corps music that they play at Marine funerals on the trumpet. My oldest cousin was a Marine and he helped us do the farewell to arms tha they do when a Marine is buried. This wasn't planned, but I was happy that my cousins were there.

I have to stop writing now I am cvrying too hard.

• kitten whiskers
    kitten whiskers

I always hated JW funerals even as a JW. I was always offended that the person wasn't honored and the info-mercial was given instead. I wish you comfor Happyguy! It's sickening when you have to live through it for a loved one who wouldn't have wanted such a funeral! I am glad there was a pastor there to help you and that your cousins did your father proud and honored him and your memory respectfully.

• yellow
    yellow

At my mothers funeral (a non j/w are as all my family) a few of the bros came including one of the elders, I thought that this would give me at least a little comfort. The minister (a family friend) gave a very nice upbuilding talk about my mother, her life and family it was more about the celebration of a life than a religious funeral, although the minister did talk about a heavenly hope awaiting my mother. After the service the only thing this elder could say was don't they ministers talk a lot of rubbish, no words of comfort I was very angry and disappointed. I received very little condolences from the bros at the hall one sister saying at least she has the hope of the resurrection. Where is the love?

• The Almighty Homer
    The Almighty Homer

The JWS exploit ever opportunity they can to sell their religion, funerals are just one of these opportunities.

Mostly they are infomercials for themselves, a whole lot of JW dogma and very little talk about the person that actually passed away.

It is deemed a sin to give praise of an individuals accomplishments while they were living, unless of course how well that

person preached or pioneered as a devoted slave to the WTS.

• WuzLovesDubs
    WuzLovesDubs

I am very very sad and upset for ALL of us who have had to both SEE and HEAR and be SUBJECTED TO the Witness CRAP they spread like manure at the funerals of our loved ones, supplanting the deceased with their hatred of all things NON JW which is the message that "talk" propagates every single time. If you arent a JW you are NOTHING is what they are saying. And it talks DOWN to any worldly people there who are grieving and the last thing they need is some asswipe telling them God doesnt love them and all their boo hooing wont save them. God heartless bastards.

For all of you who posted here...or read this thread...I am soooo sorry for your losses.

Happy Guy... you were much nicer than I would have been. Id have HAD HIM REMOVED FROM THE PREMISES!

• Robdar
    Robdar

I have never been to a funeral presided over by a minister that did not use the death of guest of honor to further the church's beliefs. Every religion does it. JWs are guilty of overkill though.

• HappyGuy
    HappyGuy

WuzLovedDubs

"Id have HAD HIM REMOVED FROM THE PREMISES!"

My mother is a Witness, I brought her into the "truth" when I was 15. My mother wanted the JW to give the funeral talk. I thought that the JW should have declined, knowing that out of over 100 people who would be there, sobbing their eyes out, only my mother is an active JW. But, the JWs could care less about that. Giving the info mercial was far more important.

I did make it clear at the gravesite that the JW would be saying NOTHING and my cousins would be doing the farewell to arms. My mother said she was glad that we did that even though at first she didn't want a Marine Corps burial.

My father LOVED the Marine Corps.

I miss my father.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit