Switching congregations

by EmptyInside 17 Replies latest jw friends

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

Did any of you start going to another hall if there were problems in your last congregation? It happens a lot now. When someone has an unresolved problem, they decide to go to a neighboring congregation.

• lancelink
    lancelink

Nope, My wife and I always stayed in one hall, we toughed out all the BS and backbiting that happened when a major problem happened.

But the downside to this was we s- l- o- w-l-y developed a major case of burnout.

After years of doing our best to support our local congregation, a long stretch of new crisises(is that a word) began to snowball together

and we quickly began to doubt why we kept trying to be supportive.

Flameout, and now we are both gone

• Alwayshere
    Alwayshere

Won't do any good to switch, they all think alike.

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

Well, I already switched to another hall ten years ago. It's not that I had any serious problems, it's just that I was born into the hall and wanted to start fresh. And I do know people who are happier attending another hall. There are halls that are friendlier than others. And some have bigger troublemakers than others. And of course, the ones that go hall to hall, sometimes they turn out being the troublemakers. Of course, that being said I don't know where I stand anymore. I'm still mulling things over in my mind. But, I know even in my own family they knew if they didn't try another hall the only option was leave all together. And I know some of you think the latter would be the best option, maybe, but they still believe it to be Jehovah's organization.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

I once switched Halls in an attempt to surround myself with fewer a$$holes.

Sadly, it didn't work. Seems the Halls are chock full of 'em.

• Gregor
    Gregor

Remember, everybody has one.

I recall posters here switching congregations as a prelude to fading. However, this doesn't work very well if you just start going to a different cong. that is local or maybe even shares the same KH.

It may help to give you a brief respite, like shifting from one cheek to the other during a boring talk.

• restrangled
    restrangled

If you switched more than once, you were probably the problem unless you had to move for work related issues.

I have sister in law that switched so many times she is fianlly in Mexico. Nothing to do with JW's... even they couldn't tolerate her.....shes just a real prize.....but she does wear the JW name proudly.....

r.

• lovelylil2
    lovelylil2

My family left the hall we were in for 10 years which happens to be practically within walking distance to our still current home. We started attending another hall about a 20 minute drive away. The reason we left is our old congregation was shielding a pedophile and we had two young children. I only found out because another sister went against the elders and told me about it.

About a year after going to another kh, we ended up leaving the witnesses anyway. Peace, Lilly

• willyloman
    willyloman

It would be interesting to see statistics on how many dubs leave the org after changing congos.

Anytime a dub changes congregations without actually moving to another geographical area, chances are good it's because of a problem. It might an issue with some personality in their old congo, or they just don't like the "spirit" there, or they are having doubts about their faith and are not ready to admit the problems are systemic.

Sometimes the move is good and the change removes the personality clash they had with Person X or they just "connect" better in Congo B. And sometimes they like the change initially but after a few months realize the same problems exist in the new congo: it's the same group of people, they just all have different names. That's when they realize it's the organization itself that is a bad fit for them.

Some of them act on that realization, and others continue to hone their cognitive dissonance skills.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

Happened to my folks around the same time that I stopped going to meetings, in August. They seem to be happier now, especially since the ***hole P.O. (not calling him C.o.B.o.E., KABOOIE!) isn't there.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit