Were You Proud To Be A Witness?

by minimus 35 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

As a kid, I was. Whenever I recieved "persecution", I knew I was doing something good for Jehovah. Even in my 30's I felt "privileged" to be a Jehovah's Witness. Then later, I started to see real cracks in the Organization. Before I'd ignore the history of the Witnesses/Bible Students and accept the "new light" belief. When I started to use the critical part of my brain, there was no turning back and I avoided much connection with
    "worldly" people about my being a JW.

Were you proud or ashamed as a Witness?

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

No, I was embarassed to tell people I was a JW. What made it even more embarassing was that I joined as an adult. I believed in the doctrine but was still ashamed of it, if that makes any sense. Probably on some level I knew it was a pile of crap.

W

• minimus
    minimus

Shame on you, FF.

• White Dove
    White Dove

Embarrassed to say it but proud to be it and sick of it to be a JW. I hated being a freak. Born in.

• blondie
    blondie

I considered myself a Christian.....was that bad?

• teel
    teel

Not really, no. I knew people don't like us, think we're weird and it made me feel bad. You know, peer pressure, fear of men and all. In the FS I was always afraid of meeting someone who knew me.

I don't think I ever met someone who genuinely was, or at least that was my general impression. Once a sister told me she was at a business to witness, and saw a sister working there. Casually the visiting sister mentioned to the boss, that the working sister is a JW too. That sister took great offense, that she should have asked her first before telling others.

• undercover
    undercover

I was more embarrassed or ashamed. It's hard to explain, but even as a child, something never felt right about it. When I was an adult and trying to adhere to the beliefs that I was raised with, I hid my identity as JW more than I ever publicized it. The only time I ever willingly identified myself as a JW was in the door to door work. Outside of service if I was forced into a situation where I had to admit I was one, it was embarrassing.

I did little things in everyday life that were also telling...like never leaving my Bible or meeting books or bookbags visible in the car. They always went in the trunk or behind the seat in my truck. Nothing WT related was ever left at work. If religion came up in conversation with co-workers, school mates or just people I met somewhere, I avoided getting involved. I knew I was doing these things intentionally and that I shouldn't be ashamed but I couldn't help it.

And yet even as embarrassing as it was, when the doubts no longer stayed submerged and I started researching and learning the real truth, I had a hard time accepting that the religion was wrong. Part of me thought that maybe I just wanted an easy way out so I could rationalize to myself a reason to not accept the WT's authority, like it was my fault somehow.

Lifelong indoctrination into a cult is hard to break and does not happen overnight.

• tjlibre
    tjlibre

Yes, but when I became one. Now I’m not, but I’m disappointed and disgusted at the GB . The other day someone asked me what was my religion, I said “I like to think that I’m a Christian, I’m working on it”. I no longer say that I’m a JW.

• minimus
    minimus

Being a Christian's alright.

UC, you were an apostate long before you knew!

• snowbird
    snowbird

I was proud - at first, before the doubts emerged.

Sylvia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit