No windows

by BlackSwan of Memphis 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

A couple years back I read posts re the lack of windows in the KH. I didn't think too much about it. I think at the time I was still so close to the situation that I thought it was a bit extreme and surely it couldn't be anything like it was being made out to be: conspiracy on the part of the Organization.

Flash forward to recent days. I have been attending our local Unitarian Universalists church (or universalist unitarian?) and was able to get my husband to come a service.

Afterwards we were talking about how much we both really like it, and the natural flow of the conversation took us to the differences between that and the Kingdom hall.

Something he really liked was how the windows looked out into the gorgeous scenery outside. There are several acres of land which allow for a few paths that go through the woods. The playground is right outside as well. You can go and sit and listen to the pianist and stare outside and find yourself mellowing out. It is awesome.

My husband says to me that it is so different from the KH where there were never any windows because they want your FULL attention. They don't want you to be distracted by anything. He noted that is one of the ways they brainwash you. You can't think of anything else, because they don't want you to.

For those of you who don't know me or family, my husband was never a jw (I married OUT of the faith) and came with me to the meetings occasionally.

Looking back, I really had to agree. It's scary to think that Yes, there really is that much that goes into the planning of how to indoctrinate.

• zoiks
    zoiks

The Kingdom Halls in my area all have windows facing the parking lot. You can see who's coming late and who's leaving early.

zoiks

• teel
    teel

Not sure what rules are in the US, here all the KHs I've been to had windows. I visited the local Bethel, and their KH had windows too.

Maybe the brothers over there realised the merits of open source and switched to Linux?

• alanv
    alanv

In my area they have plenty of windows in the Kingdom Hall but also net curtains over them so you can't look out.

• mouthy
    mouthy

Unitarian Universalists church Believes a lot like the WT ieLike rejection of the Trinity
    The also veiw Jesus as a mere man,but a secondary divine being.
    It was formed in 1961 by the merger of the American Unitarian Assoc:
    ( the principal religious body teaching)Its churches exhibit an eclectic blend of
    liberal Christianity,humanism,atheism,& neopagenism.

Just encase you are not aware of their teachings....I thought I would
    look it up in the Book EXPOSITOR Index of CULTS & Religions....that is part of
    of it readings above

ALSO I was told by an elder "windows allowed you to lose concentrastion
    during the talk ,"So the mind is detached for their control, so windows must go

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I really don't understand what all the fuss is about or why this keeps coming up so often. Many kingdom halls have windows, and many don't. I might add that the same can be said about many buildings, both churches and businesses. Those that do have windows usually have them covered. Just as we do in our homes. Every hall I attended has windows, even the newly built ones. The "no windows" conspiracy is utterly ridiculous when compared to all the legitimate criticisms that can be made about the watchtower.

W

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

Unitarian Universalists church Believes a lot like the WT ieLike rejection of the Trinity
    The also veiw Jesus as a mere man,but a secondary divine being.
    It was formed in 1961 by the merger of the American Unitarian Assoc:
    ( the principal religious body teaching)Its churches exhibit an eclectic blend of
    liberal Christianity,humanism,atheism,& neopagenism.

Just encase you are not aware of their teachings....I thought I would
    look it up in the Book EXPOSITOR Index of CULTS & Religions....that is part of
    of it readings above

Yah, I just had a Presbyterian friend say the exact same thing to me. She was trying to get me to come to her church. I sorta listened and at the same time waited for the best moment to change the subject. I've found what I needed, at least for the time being and it works for me.

I think the concept of UU is that it is welcoming to everyone. Some people there do believe Jesus is God and whatnot, but they also are very liberal in how they view the concept of salvation.

I think they are the exact OPPOSITE of the JW's in that they don't believe you have to believe WHAT they Teach in order to be saved by anyone or anything. But I also have found, that most Christians that I have met and their churches do not outright teach anything like the JW's in the concept of shunning and one True Church Organization.

Most of my friends are Christian and we get along beautifully. We accept each other and embrace one another for our differences and from what I recall that is the kind of Christian you are. So keep on keeping on.

love, light and bright blessings to you

And as for the concept of the Windows......HM then I am going to have digress as it sounds like this is Not a universal jw thing.

Who works out the layout for the KHs?

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

You might find some answers here:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/184393/1/KH-Architecture

"Extensive mortuary imagery is associated with many secret societies, maintaining a pretense of great seriousness, and, again following Yale, clubhouses are often called "tombs." ----wiki

• diana netherton
    diana netherton

Windows....The Common Dangers.

• mouthy
    mouthy

We accept each other and embrace one another for our differences and fromwhat I recall that is the kind of Christian you are

Well Thank you....Yes that is what I think!! we should make sure of what we believe
    And it up to US & ONLY ourselves to follow it..But LOVE is the binding force in all
    human relationships...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit