The Title Jesus Gave Himself: Lord of the Sabbath

by EverAStudent 52 Replies latest jw friends

• EverAStudent
    EverAStudent

EverAStudent wrote:

As I have been away from posting for a while, I have had time to think through it a bit. I tried to contemplate how it made sense in light of the gospel story that all humanity were “lords of the Sabbath.”

In what way could all men be lords of the Sabbath? Did they create the Sabbath Law? No, YHWH did. Did men have the ability to change the regulations of the Sabbath Law? No, if they had broken the Sabbath (like picking up fire wood) they would have been executed (Numbers 15:32 -35) . Did men have the authority to ignore the Sabbath Law? No, Jesus told them they must obey the entire Law in spirit and in letter (Matthew 5:18 -19).

True, men got benefit from keeping the Sabbath Law, but that did not make them lords over the Sabbath. Humankind benefits from the rain that falls, but that does not make them lords over the rain. So that weak logic easily fails.

I can readily see how Jesus was Lord of the Sabbath. Jesus, as YHWH, authored the Sabbath Law. In fact, as Creator, Jesus rested on the 7th day and thus invented the first Sabbath observance. As YHWH Jesus accepts the worship given by the Jews on the Sabbath. So, yes, I can see how Jesus is Lord of the Sabbath.

Nonetheless, I am curious, in what meaningful way was man supposed to be lord over the Sabbath since he could not create it, change it, and had to obey it or be executed?

Moshe wrote:

I know of a rock singer who proclaimed himself as the original Lord of the Darkness decades ago, so what?

Moshe, EXACTLY! Alleging to have a grand title like "Lord of the Sabbath" is meaningless and laughable without the power and authority that goes with it.

Moshe wrote:

We're still waiting for Jesus to keep his promises.

The WTS has this wrong. All the promises that YHWH/Jesus made about the remnant of Israel all getting saved, living in safety, living long healthy lives, and having the Lord rule the world from Jerusalem is all still coming, still future. Right after the Great Tribulation Jesus will install Himself as King of the Earth for 1000 years. Every promise will be fulfilled, then.

• moshe
    moshe

Like, I said, we're still waiting for Jesus to fulfill those promises- There are many end-time scenariois and each has it's champion. You would think that something this important wouldn't be subject to human interpretation as to just what those signs of the end were. All this uncertainty about the end-times is either planned or unplanned- pick your poison.

A - we misunderstood what Jesus meant/promised- maybe it wasn't a literal promise that Jesus had in mind- invisible, perhaps!

B- Jesus meant what we think he said, but he was just a messianic pretender, so that explains his no-show as Lord of the Sabbath.

C- most of the Gospels were made up years after the fact and it's all just another 1st century messiah/hero story.

D- it's going to happen sometime in the future after we are long dead- keep the faith and keep waiting.

- Moshe, EXACTLY! Alleging to have a grand title like "Lord of the Sabbath" is meaningless and laughable without the power and authority that goes with it.

Yes, that is what it is all about.

• EverAStudent
    EverAStudent

moshe wrote:

- Moshe, EXACTLY! Alleging to have a grand title like "Lord of the Sabbath" is meaningless and laughable without the power and authority that goes with it.

Yes, that is what it is all about.

Question to moshe: So you think that the real issue is not that Jesus called Himself the Lord of the Sabbath (and thus YHWH), but that He lacked the power and authority to make the claim?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit